Non-nuclear EMP missiles.

PeteTech

I am writing a presentation for a job interview at a missile company.
For the subject matter, non-lethal weapons, I have chosen to present on EMP missiles as I believe the theory plays to my degrees strengths (Chemical Physics).

Could someone explain how a typical non-nuclear EMP missile would work in any scientific detail. The main information I want to know is how is the pulse generated.

Thanks.

lucinator

this is the best I can give you that is not classified

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_pumped_flux_compression_generator"]Explosively pumped flux compression generator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Quiller

I am writing a presentation for a job interview at a missile company.
For the subject matter, non-lethal weapons, I have chosen to present on EMP missiles as I believe the theory plays to my degrees strengths (Chemical Physics).

Could someone explain how a typical non-nuclear EMP missile would work in any scientific detail. The main information I want to know is how is the pulse generated.

Thanks.
FYI some pretty good material can be found at the Global Strategy website regarding non-nuclear EMP munitions, including US research efforts in microwave burst energy weapons. The latter appear more effective because the frequency ranges used by microwaves better exploit electronics protection flaws than standard EMP generators. It is believed experimental microwave munitions were deployed at the outset of the first Gulf War by the Air Force to help degrade electronic defense structures. Their effectiveness was never determined because we also were using high level jamming and the F-117 for the first time -- so lots of offensive activity was going on.