Non-Lethal Missiles

PeteTech

I have been asked to do a presentation on non-lethal weapons for a missile company.
a) What weapons/missiles would you include in this category?
b) Do they have interesting science behind them?

I have so far included:
Interceptor missiles.
EMP missiles.
Trophy system. (countermeasure)

Open to suggestions!

EXSSBN2005

I have been asked to do a presentation on non-lethal weapons for a missile company.
a) What weapons/missiles would you include in this category?
b) Do they have interesting science behind them?

I have so far included:
Interceptor missiles.
EMP missiles.
Trophy system. (countermeasure)

Open to suggestions!
Are these missiles going to be something for them to market (ie test pratice missiles for future missiles they intend to manufacture and sell) or something to defend their offices / manufactureing plants / installations on the ground ( ie personal weapons [bean bag ammo for shotguns, sonics cannon / firehose cannons for shipboard defence]) perhaps just a little more guidance that we can use to help you with what your looking for. Most missiles are designed for killing things either people, other missiles, ships or installations. Why use a PGM when something unguided will get the job done cheaper. How in depth does your presentation need to be, for example do you need to be giving out just this is what its designed to boost or the dry weight at liftoff for a m-xxxx is this and the max lifting capacity for m-xxxx is such that it can carry this size payload with a weight of m, and dimentions of x,y,z in certain shapes.

Rocket assisted launching systems for UAVs.
Rockets for ship to ship underway refueling.

Just to throw them off throw in an atlatl and see what they think. Just kidding on this last line unless they have and you know they will have a sence of humor.

PeteTech

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey,

Ok I have some clarification from the company as to what they are expecting.
I have to present on ONE non-lethal weapon (possibly a missile, possibly not) in reasonable scientific detail.
The company makes and sells weapons for military use primarily although the weapon that I present may be any non-lethal weapon. E.g Taser for police force.

Good point about calculating the maximum lift and the size of the payload. That may come in handy.

So far I think EMP is the most interesting one to present although if any you can suggest any particularly stand out technologies.

I think the level of detail they are looking for (given that I do a Chemical Physics degree) is roughly at this level. I'm going to show that I can:
-Explain the motion of a missile given that it changes in mass as over time.
-Explain how to optimize the stability of a missile.
-Explain how to use control systems to guide a missile.
-Explain how the EMP affects circuitry.
-Explain how an EMP is generated from the missile.

I will talk about the principles but probably not get too far into the engineering.

The final point I am yet to actually find out. I do not know how the EMP is actually generated. Any insight would be great. Gonna make a fresh thread for EMP's.

My2Cents

So far I think EMP is the most interesting one to present although if any you can suggest any particularly stand out technologies.
EMP may not qualify as non-lethal because it destroys all unshielded electronics in the area of effect, usually including all civilian electronics as military systems are usually the only ones (if any) with shielding. This will include things like pacemakers, medical instrumentation, control systems (including power, water, etc.), aircraft flight systems, and most communications (needed to coordinate emergency services).

You might want to clarify just how non-lethal they mean. If they would not include a Taser in that definition then EMP is probably out. Weapons like tear gas, Tasers, and bean bags as classified as ‘less lethal’ rather than ‘non-lethal’.