Neutron Bomb: Does any country have stockpiles of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ever4244

No , I have to disagree

Hmmmmm. Look, if a "If 1 j energy transformed into heat blast , it likely spend much quicker than other beta or gama ray " as obviosly, heat doesnt add any radiation. Now, what cause more radiation and induced radiation - heat or neutrons ? Moreover, normal bomb might be even cleaner than neutron bombs as percentage of radiactive material what is converted to pure energy is higher. But thats also pure academic, as in nuclear bomb also less than 1% material converted to energy - all other turned to isotopes/remained as is. So in both cases (neutron and normal N. bombs) you will have exactly the same amount of radiactive material in the air. Again, from more logical point of view neutron bomb is of course designed to produce strong neutron wave, but its achieved in rather funny way - i.e. by underdevelopment of normal nuclear blast. Thats mean that it just CANT produce stronger neutrons wave and more radiation in general than normal bomb with the same mass.
No. that can produce stronger neutrons wave.
N-bomb is not completed same with normal H-bomb
1 Most H-bomb use U-238 as shell
but N-bomb use Pu-239 as shell which can produce much more neutron , So the A-bomb in N-bomb is much much more smaller than a normal bomb s A-bomb
All the radiation dust is created by A-bomb not H-bomb

2 N-bomb use an mixture of deuterium(H2) and tritium(H3) to achieve fusion
which can product much much more neutron than fission .
but normal bomb use (H2)Li as main fusion material . Li will absorb neutron to fission to H3. then H3 and H2 will fusion
but the problem is :

1) Li will absorb most of the neutron
2)Li s fission will creat radiative dust

why normal bomb dn t use H3 is because H3 is much more precious than Li

3 from the data I lean ,same 1kt bomb N-bomb detonate in 90m height s neutron blast will be 20times stronger than normal A-bomb and several

times of H-bomb. The neutron can pierce 30cm steel in 800m , however it will only pollute and destroy a radius of 180m.

:p:

Chrom

3 from the data I lean ,same 1kt bomb N-bomb detonate in 90m height s neutron blast will be 20times stronger than normal A-bomb and several

times of H-bomb. The neutron can pierce 30cm steel in 800m , however it will only pollute and destroy a radius of 180m.

:p:
Thats right - 20 times stronger then THE SAME KT normal nuclear bomb. For exactly reason i mentioned - neutron bomb give very weak blast for its weight. But it produce about as much neutrons (and radiation afterwards) as normal nuclear bomb with the same WEIGHT and SIZE (i.e. much more that normal nuclear bomb with same KT equivalent). Allthought the exact isotopes composition is somewhat different. Thats what i tryed to explain the whole time.

Last edited:

ever4244

Thats right - 20 times stronger then THE SAME KT normal nuclear bomb. For exactly reason i mentioned - neutron bomb give very weak blast for its weight. But it produce about as much neutrons (and radiation afterwards) as normal nuclear bomb with the same WEIGHT and SIZE (i.e. much more that normal nuclear bomb with same KT equivalent). Allthought the exact isotopes composition is somewhat different. Thats what i tryed to explain the whole time.
I ve known your arguement for long , but i beg you please read carefully my last post about why the neutron in N-bomb is more. Li will absorb most neutron in normal bomb

Chrom

I ve known your arguement for long , but i beg you please read carefully my last post about why the neutron in N-bomb is more. Li will absorb most neutron in normal bomb
Most - how much "most"? 10%? 30%? 90%? Keep in mind, neutron radiation have very good penetration, and merery 5 sm of any material will NOT stop most of it. Add to the fact what said Li will give strong induced radation, add what in normal nuclear bomb higher percentage of radiactive material burn in reaction - and trust me, you will got at least as much radiation in normal nuclear bomb. If you dont beleive me, take any public civil defence papier and compare the lethal radiation radius for both normal and neutron bomb. They are almost the same.

ever4244

Most - how much "most"? 10%? 30%? 90%? Keep in mind, neutron radiation have very good penetration, and merery 5 sm of any material will NOT stop most of it. Add to the fact what said Li will give strong induced radation, add what in normal nuclear bomb higher percentage of radiactive material burn in reaction - and trust me, you will got at least as much radiation in normal nuclear bomb. If you dont beleive me, take any public civil defence papier and compare the lethal radiation radius for both normal and neutron bomb. They are almost the same.
I suggest you look up more books and come back with some more detail to support your arguement as I have done

There is vast difference between deflect and absorb . steal can only deflect neutron and you can argue neutron has a good penatration.while Li in H-bomb can absorb neutron and fission to H3.
And if there isn t enough neutron be absorbed , there won t be enough H3 to form a fusion with H2.

I said as well as book say Li will cause induce radiation and radiation dust is because that s the nature of fission. fission can not exert all the energy instantly like fusion and will produce various of radiation dust accord to different kind of initial material

The lethal radiation radius of an N bomb is much larger than A-bomb lets say the same weight---for fusion produce lot more neutron and still more than normal bomb for the neutron was not absorb by Li , and Pu can add some more.
But the remain radiation dust will be significiantly lower than A-bomb because it s not the N-bomb produce radiation dust , It s the A-bomb inside
And as I ve tell you . the Pu-bomb in N-bomb is much smaller compared with U-bomb in normal H-bomb.so the N-bomb s radiation dust lower than normal H-bomb

You can always repeat your arguement and so could I ,but that s meaning less.

Francis

Neutron Bombs eh? Neutron bombs, also called enhanced radiation bombs (ER weapons), are small thermonuclear weapons in which the burst of neutrons generated by the fusion reaction is intentionally not absorbed inside the weapon, but allowed to escape. The X-ray mirrors and shell of the weapon are made of chromium or nickel so that the neutrons are permitted to escape. Contrast this with cobalt bombs, also known as salted bombs.

This intense burst of high-energy neutrons is the principal destructive mechanism.

The term "enhanced radiation" refers only to the burst of ionizing radiation released at the moment of detonation, not to any enhancement of residual radiation in fallout.

A neutron bomb requires considerable amounts of tritium, which has a half-life of 12.3 years, thus making it impossible to store the weapon for more extended durations. The neutron bombs that existed in the United States arsenal in the past were variants of the W70 and the W79 designs.

An alternative technology is to enhance the x-ray yield of the weapon. Upon detonation a large electron field is allowed to hit the tungsten target, a metal slab compressed by explosives against the uranium or plutonium core. These enhanced radiation weapons are thought to comprise a true radiation damage/killing device.

This is so far only information I know about it .

Chrom

Ok. comparasion about neutron radiation radius specially for you:

1 kt bombs, lethal radius for unprotected soldiers:

Neutron bomb: 1350
Normal nuclear bomb with SAME 1 kt power: 900

lethal radius for crew inside T-72 tank:

Neutron bomb: 720m
Normal nuclear bomb with SAME 1 kt power: 360m

As you can see, the difference is not THAT high. Neutron bomb with 1kt power have about 10kg (mainly PU) radiactive material + 10g D+T what produce most neutrons . Normal nuclear PU bomb with same weight will have 10-20 kt power - and about same lethal neutron radiation radius as 1kt neutron bomb. Now its your turn, argue these facts.

Bob Hope

Neutron bomb use in Iraq

I would agree with what this supposed source is saying about the pulling down of the Saddam Hussein statue, but then we would both be wrong. I was there, bonehead.

Redlands18

Who's going to stop them from using the neutron bomb? Last I checked they are our ally, we train them.
Bob a bit of friendly advice before you post again, take a long read of the forum rules, you have broken 3 already that the mods take a particularly strong dislike to.

Status
Not open for further replies.