NASAMs NSM Same Launcher?

Bob53

I read a comment on the drive..that I cannot locate again stating that NASAMs has the same launcher and command module as NSM? Basically stating 1 command module could be a combined MASAMs NSM unit. I can’t find any detail to validate this. Anyone know if it is correct?

Redlands18

I read a comment on the drive..that I cannot locate again stating that NASAMs has the same launcher and command module as NSM? Basically stating 1 command module could be a combined MASAMs NSM unit. I can’t find any detail to validate this. Anyone know if it is correct?
Both the NSM and NASAMS are Kongsberg products so there may be elements of the launch system that are common to both but the NSM being about two and half times the size of the AMRAAM, the NSM would have to have a different launch module. I wonder if the original poster meant HIMARS and NSM.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This seems to be a recent development specifically for NSM CDS (NSM Coastal Defense System).

The relevant quotes showing that this is a "recent development" are
The FDC is the C2 node of the NASAMS Air Defence System and NSM™ CDS. The Raytheon Family of Missiles including the various AMRAAM models, AIM-9X Sidewinder block II and AMRAAM ER and the KONGSBERG NSM™ have all been fired from NASAMS or NSM™ CDS.
(Kongsberg webpage for FDC)
The FDC is the C2 node of the NASAMS air defence system. The various AMRAAM models, AIM-9X and AMRAAM ER have all been fired from NASAMS..
(2021 datasheet for FDC)

The timewise difference in these quotes (i.e. the lack of mentioning it in 2021) would mean that the Polish squadrons that became operational in 2013 are likely not equipped with this particular FDC shelter, but a different command center module (presumably not compatible with NASAMS). And that's the systems Ukraine is supposedly interested in.

Recent orders - like for Romania - use the above NASAMS/NSM CDS FDC.

P.S. Reading between the lines on the Kongsberg page it's also not as "plug-and-play" as that poster believes. The FDC is configured either for a surface mode (NSM) or an anti-air mode (NASAMS), partly also dependent on what sensors are hooked up.

Last edited: