Mystery Westland Aircraft

At lakes

Of the two attached photo's, one is a Westland Whirlwind a technically troubled design which the RAF operated between 1940 and 1942 some when to the Soviet Union and they operated effectively against German armour. The aircraft in the photo has a registration of P7048. This aircraft was later restored by Westland and given the civilian registration of G- AGOI and flew until 1947 or there about.
The single engine aircraft in the 2nd photo also bears the registration of P7048. This aircraft clearly has the fuselage of the twin engine whirlwind. The photo was titled Westland Westminster, but when I did a google search on that name all I got was the Helicopter designed by Westland in the late 50's.
Does anyone have any info on this single engine aircraft. I have a very extensive collection of photo's of aircraft weird and not so weird and those that made it and shouldn't have, mostly pirated I might add and I can find no reference to it at all. Or has someone just been playing with the photo's and they are both the same aircraft. What ever its annoying me. Appreciate it if someone could clear it up.

Attachments

Last edited:

At lakes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have found it after much searching etc Its a Westland Westwind listed as a recon Fighter. no other details. Very clearly didn't make it, now it will annoy me till I find out more about it.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Looks like a Westland Wyvern prototype, except the tailplane is wrong. Could be a proof of concept for the Wyvern.

Rangitoto

It's a fake. Here's the original, un-altered image. You can see by the field pattern it's the same image, just photo shopped.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yep it's a fake, Both aircraft have the same camouflage pattern and serial number as well as flaws in the paintwork and no radiators on the fake which would have been a little problematic. The Whirlwind it's self was a very good aircraft with lousy engines, The RR peregrine engine (a development of the kestrel ) did not have significant development done to it due to RR being fully committed to Merlin development and production.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yep it's a fake, Both aircraft have the same camouflage pattern and serial number as well as flaws in the paintwork and no radiators on the fake which would have been a little problematic. The Whirlwind it's self was a very good aircraft with lousy engines, The RR peregrine engine (a development of the kestrel ) did not have significant development done to it due to RR being fully committed to Merlin development and production.
Reckon they should've used Merlins on it instead and then gone to Griffons in later Mks. A good what if. DH would've had the Hornet on the drawing board in 1941, and the Mosquito when Westland were designing the Whirlwind.

Speaking of Hornets, there is a Sea Hornet at Ardmore for restoration to flying condition. One of those flying is rarer than flying Mosquitoes.

At lakes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rob c and Rangitoto you are both correct they are the same aircraft and the same background and to paraphrase the reply I got from Hendon the lady suggested it was done by a cheeky little smart arse with nothing better to do on his home computer. I got a list of design's by Westland that never made it and this particular model was not there, The Westland Photoshop was not listed. But on a side note there was a photo a model concept of a helicopter proposed by Westland in 1979. It has a very good likeness to one the Americans are proposing for the US Army

Attachments