Korean Peninsula Developments

Redlands18

South Korea seeks stronger defence ties with Australia - Australian Defence Magazine
An interesting article from ADM on future ties between ROK and Australia, a number of interesting points from the ROK Minister for Defence acquisition, incl.
Possibly building AS-21 Redbacks in Geelong for export to other customers and also the ROK.
Reducing the crew of the K-9 from 5 to 3.
Developing a semi-autonomous fleet of K-9s based on 1 vehicle with a 3 man crew, controlling a battery of up to 5 more each requiring a driver only.
ROK is working with Deakin University on AI and autonomy for the AS-9/AS-10.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Put it here, as this is the extent of ROK ambitions to increase their share on global arms trade. Reminder to other countries that have ambitions to be player in Arms Export (Like Turkiye or India/Bharat). It is expensive to be serious player on Arms Market.

Meriv90

Reconnecting with what i wrote sometime ago that IMHO the peninsula is not defensible against China considering the centric(Seoul) model of Korean urbanization.

I don't know if I'm interpreting this wrongly but it is interesting how the only non Chinese made part of the phone is Korean, being the memory chip.

I heard the video a week ago while driving, so i cannot pin point exactly where in the video it is.

From Forbes:

And consider the US investment in the sector.

To me the impression is that SK more than be like Japan, it is going to be like Swiss in case of a conflict.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Put it here and not ROKN thread, as this is can create more geopolitical changes in the region. This is create question whether this is a trend of US allies demanding SSN capabilities as contagious factor from AUKUS?

Asside Big 5, only two countries now embarking on their SSN project. India and later on Brazil. Both can be considered as non US/Western allies, and more as independent powers. India SSN more beneficial from India experience on operating Russian SSN. While Brazil use their own reactor design, but with French assistance to integrate into submarine.

RoK has good tech capabilities as civilian reactor producer. So does Japan. Will Japan going to follow through on their own SSN if ROK done this? Both of them definitely has their own capabilities as mature nuclear energy players, with their own nuclear industry. This will remain to political will and US compromise.

How this going to be seen by DPRK and China, remain to be seen. DPRK I suspect will not be please if ROK decide to go more open toward nuclear tech in military purpose. This is only propulsion, but it is potentially going to be seen by some further step to arming themselves with nuclear warheads. Either way, both ROK and Japan have tech to do it, should they choose.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Put it here and not ROKN thread, as this is can create more geopolitical changes in the region. This is create question whether this is a trend of US allies demanding SSN capabilities as contagious factor from AUKUS?

Asside Big 5, only two countries now embarking on their SSN project. India and later on Brazil. Both can be considered as non US/Western allies, and more as independent powers. India SSN more beneficial from India experience on operating Russian SSN. While Brazil use their own reactor design, but with French assistance to integrate into submarine.

RoK has good tech capabilities as civilian reactor producer. So does Japan. Will Japan going to follow through on their own SSN if ROK done this? Both of them definitely has their own capabilities as mature nuclear energy players, with their own nuclear industry. This will remain to political will and US compromise.

How this going to be seen by DPRK and China, remain to be seen. DPRK I suspect will not be please if ROK decide to go more open toward nuclear tech in military purpose. This is only propulsion, but it is potentially going to be seen by some further step to arming themselves with nuclear warheads. Either way, both ROK and Japan have tech to do it, should they choose.
I think if either / or both the ROKN and the JAMSDF obtain SSNs the squealing and screaming out of Beijing will reach new heights. They will not have a sense of humour about that.

Sandhi Yudha

It looks like North-Korea desperately needs attention.

These artillery actions made South-Korea decide that it will not regard the agreements about the buffer zones anymore as effective.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Some years ago I was tracking NK and at that time I had the clear impression that 38north.org provided some of the best public analyses of NK policy and politics.

Now they see several warning signals, indicating a fundamental shift and possibly even preparations for an attack. Do people on this forum share their concern?

Is Kim Jong Un Preparing for War? - 38 North: Informed Analysis of North Korea
Their analysis has always been pretty good, so I think that they are onto something here. Kim may believe that the US is mired so deep with problems such as Russo - Ukrainian War, PRC, Russia and the Middle East, that it won't be in a position to react if / when he attacks the south. The Korean War has never ended and as such the UN is still involved in the war. If he used nukes, I believe that the US would respond in kind, especially if US forces are targeted.