KANWA confirmed the rumour of China developing 360 Km range MLR

ZhangKe

In the last three years or so, there have been rumours on the Internet that China has developed the 360km-ranged MLR, saying the rocket adopts terminal radar image guidance system. The news was spread further to the international journals via Hong Kong's media, which named it "WS-2".

Kanwa interviewed the WS series MLR designer on this report. The source made it definitely clear that this so-called 360km-ranged terminal radar image guided MLR did not exist, and that there was even no such develop plan. "The basic design concept of MLR is that it can achieve the effect of massive destruction; as for precision strikes, that is the task of "campaign tactical ballistic missiles". How can a rocket fitted with terminal radar image guidance system still be called a "rocket"?

Why then was there the rumour that "China had developed 360km-ranged MLR"? The self-named "designer" of this MLR claimed on the Chinese Internet that he "designed" this MLR mainly because he hated Taiwan's independence.<For more details, see Kanwa issue 530>

chinese webhttp://www.kanwa.com/free/2004/05/c0513.htm

WS-1B MLR

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
If that rocket is supposed to be a long range MLRS, then I'm not surprised that someone decided to come clean.

An MLRS is a battlefield weapon, it's not a theatre weapon. The photos alone should have made that somewhat clear.

That particular weapon would be hard pressed to get beyond 100km's and I suspect that 60-80km is more likely.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
mysterious said:
Frankly speaking, 360 Km sounds a bit too much for a MLR to me. :smokingc:
Yep, I just did a check on Sinodefence and a "western" Miltech site.
Both say that it has a 20 Kilometre Minimum Range with up to 80 Kilometres Maximum Range.

mysterious

That sounds more 'sensible' and aCCeptable. Otherwise, what would be the use of Battlefield Ballistic Missles if MRLs were made with having that great of a range?!?!? ;)

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Sinodefence.com said the rocket's maxium range is 180km and minimum range is 80km.
And don't believe everything said by Kanwa, they do have some unique info on new weapons development but their comments can be neglected. Why? Pinkov wrote most of those system evaluations, but he graduated from Gui Zhou university in China with a degree on Chinese cultral study. Now he calls himself a weaopn system experts............. :D: