Joining the Australin Navy with past incidences of slef harm

tabs

Hi so I'm 16 truing 16.5 in August I'm planning on applying to the navy in a medic or a communications role or MWO. But in the past I've dealt with non suicidal self harm, I am getting psychological treatment for it for the second time because the first time around the person I was seeing wasn't a good fit for me but this time my current psychologist is a good fit for me and I've improved a lot I haven't had any thoughts of self harming since august-late September of last year. I've always wanted to join the navy ever since I was a little kid, my grate-grandfather was a captain in the navy around the time adfa was first established and he helped establish it or something along those lines (the story changes with each relative I talk to). But I want to be able to follow in his footsteps and accomplish good while serving my country. When I apply I am going to be 100% honest about my issues with self harm because they will find out especially when I have my medical examination but I really don't know anymore if I should apply now or not because it probably wont be worth it and it'd just be a waist of my time especially being in VCE where time is off the essence.

Is there anything I can do to make it more likely for me to get in? Should I bother applying? What should I do?

Wombat000

I’m guessing that you are probably waiting for a reply, and some insight into the process.
So I may offer this perception;

May I humbly suggest that this is a complex question, and probably one that won’t meaningfully be, or cannot realistically be answered here.

May I also humbly suggest that you investigate any questions/concerns with your recruiting office, as they’re the ones that will give you the most useful answers pertaining to your individual interests and possible future application.

Wishing you the very best in all your future paths!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hi so I'm 16 truing 16.5 in August I'm planning on applying to the navy in a medic or a communications role or MWO. But in the past I've dealt with non suicidal self harm, I am getting psychological treatment for it for the second time because the first time around the person I was seeing wasn't a good fit for me but this time my current psychologist is a good fit for me and I've improved a lot I haven't had any thoughts of self harming since august-late September of last year. I've always wanted to join the navy ever since I was a little kid, my grate-grandfather was a captain in the navy around the time adfa was first established and he helped establish it or something along those lines (the story changes with each relative I talk to). But I want to be able to follow in his footsteps and accomplish good while serving my country. When I apply I am going to be 100% honest about my issues with self harm because they will find out especially when I have my medical examination but I really don't know anymore if I should apply now or not because it probably wont be worth it and it'd just be a waist of my time especially being in VCE where time is off the essence.

Is there anything I can do to make it more likely for me to get in? Should I bother applying? What should I do?
Hi @tabs

I would suggest that you contact a RAN recruiter and run it past them. They will know the score. There maybe a safety concern re: your self harming because they would be concerned about what would happen when you are under a lot of stress and that stress certainly occurs when recruits are put through their Basic Common Training (Recruit Course) or whatever the RAN call it. There can also be significant stress when you are at sea and that's where the safety concern may come in because, at sea, every sailor onboard has to depend on every other crew member to do their job 110% and react correctly when it gets tough. Since you are seeing a trick cyclist, so psychologist, :D you should discuss it with them. They may be able to help you.

You also need to be physically fit and it sure helps to be able to confidently swim. When I joined the RNZN years ago, we were required to swim 50 metres wearing overalls and sand shoes, then tread water for 4 minutes. We also had to jump into Auckland harbour during winter and had to swim 15m before climbing into a life raft. The jump was off a container placed on the wharf. Great fun on a cold rainy wintry day.

I wish you good luck and hope that you do manage to get into the RAN.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Good advice given above, I'll add my 2 cents. Your previous self harming behaviour will obviously be discussed at length both at the recruitment stage and your security clearance stage. You've taken positive steps to seek help and treatment so that will count towards mitigating that risk. Be open and forthright about the issue and demonstrate how you've been proactive in addressing the problem. A letter from your treating Pyschologist would be something worth bringing to show the recruiters and/or medical examiner.
Personally if you want to join as a MWO then it'd be better for you to concentrate on your VCE and then look at your options. The RAN has many good resources online to show you what Navy life is like. A word of caution, it's not for everybody so I think it would be wise to have a Plan B in case you don't make it through Recruit School or Creswell/ADFA.
I served for 20 years and loved just about every minute of it, if you are determined to get in then keep at it and the possibilities are many. Best of luck ! :)

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I’ve been in 57 years, and as you might guess, I love It.

The only thing I would add to DDG38 comments (although 39 was always the better ship :)) is that the type of incident and the time since it or any repeats occurred will be important. Many children and adolescents do things which they later come to view as silly; for that reason they are not necessarily a “for ever” disqualification. The recruiters will however almost certainly want to see a sustained period of moving beyond the event or events. To that end the advice to do your research and continue your education in the mean time is particularly aposite

Last edited: