Is the ADF adequately equipped?

pepsi

Hey all, i just have a few questions and opinions on the ADF.. (I hope this isn't breaking the no politics rule, its slightly government related)

I've started to notice that the government tends to have no problem with replacing existing hardware, e.g. the F-35 purchase and the AWD's (which i believe are to replace the FFG's), but as time progresses they don't seem to increase the numbers of the hardware..

For example, the ~100 F-35s are to replace ~80 F/A-18s and ~20 F-111s. Why are we not going for figure closer to 120 or 150, either with more F-35s or with another type of jet?

Also, from the thread in the Naval Tech section, i notice we seem to be relying on the 3 AWD's to replace our 6 FFG's, why not 6 AWD's or even up to 8?

Another thing i noticed is that although the government seems fine with replacing existing hardware, it seems very stand offish when bringing in something new, for example the 2 amphib/carriers imho should have been in our navy since at least the mid 90s, because afterall we are an island continent, in a region that is full of islands.. They would have proved very useful in Timor and the solomons for transport and air defence, and also provided a lot of help in the tsunami assistance earlier this year..

And as for the army, i find it strange that we are only purchasing around 50 M1A1's, especially since those new carriers could probably hold around that many each

I know we have recruitment issues, but i wonder if a more active role was taken in buying new hardware, would it actually help recruitment..

Sorry for the long post, and i must admit im not too knowledgable of all the projects going on, or any procedures which have to be followed when acquiring or deciding on new hardware, so go easy on me if everything i've written is way off the mark :D

crazypole

I too am not the most knowledgable about these matters, but possibilites include lack of troops to bother buying new equipment, ie if there's nobody to use the hardware, why have it?
Secondly, it could be that the 100 f-35's could do the job of 120 or so older aircraft, ie the newer hardware is more capable than the older equipment, so no expansion is necessary to expand force capabilities.
Thirdly, cost. Though you would love for the ADF to expand, the cost of buying more and newer hardware is constantly on the increase, and Defense only has a limited budget.

Snayke

I very much doubt buying more equipment would increase recruitment. It would only mean the need for more recruitment than now which has seen problems.

A

Aussie Digger

I don't think ADF recruitment is the problem it's made out to be. Ask Dio who visits these boards occasionally. He has recently signed up for the Australian Army and see how long it's taken HIM to get to basic training (he's not quite there yet).

On top of these sorts of problems, the ADF had over 80,000 enquiries and 15,000 formal applications in 2004-2005. They recruited only 4000. The figures are similar in the years preceeding this one. Apparently therefore, 75% of all formal applicants are unsuitable for service within the ADF, despite all these people having attended lectures, received information packs, and been made WELL aware of the ADF's requirements for entry...

AS to the ADF equipment question. The ADF is not well equipped. Every single deployment of late, has led to "urgent acquisitions" of such basic equipment as spall liners and turrets for our armoured vehicles, electronic warfare self protection equipment for our aircraft, long range anti-armour missiles for our special forces (and now conventional forces).

In addition our warships when deployed, have had to be equipped with ARMY RBS-70 SAM's so that they have SOME form of air defence capability. Pity if the Army SHOULD actually need them!!!

The list goes on an on, and these are deficiencies that exist amongst equipment we already possess. Look at some of the capability gaps we have: no SEAD/DEAD capability of ANY kind within our Air force. No Electronic warfare attack/suppression equipment of any kind within our Airforce, Navy and Army. No self propelled artillery OR rocket artillery of any kind. No long range air defence capability for Army of any kind.

No guided anti-armour missile system of ANY kind for Army. (Though this is being addressed with Javelin ATGW's and Hellfire missiles for Armies Tigers).

This list ALSO goes on and on. I think everyone can get the picture though...