Indonesia delivers CN-235 Military plane to Pakistan

The Watcher

Contract was signed for FOUR(4) of such planes back in march of 2002?

JAKARTA, Jan. 29 -- The state-owned aircraft manufacturer PT Dirgantara Indonesia (DI) has delivered a military passenger plane CN235-220 to Pakistan after paying a fine of 300,000 US dollars for a three-month delay in the delivery.

PTDI President Edwin Sudarmo said on Wednesday that the nation's financial crisis and an internal labor dispute caused the delay, The Jakarta Post reported Thursday.

"However, I thank the workers who worked hard to complete the order," Edwin was quoted as saying after handing over the 49-passenger plane to Pakistani Air Force officer Commodore Kazim AliAwan.

PTDI's business operations director Budi Wuraskito said Pakistan had signed an agreement on July 29, 2002 to purchase fourplanes worth 52 million dollars.

He said two similar aircraft would be delivered in late June and August while the remaining plane, which was designed as a VIP aircraft, would be delivered on time by the end of this year.

He said the company needed two-million-dollar working capital to complete the three planes. The company's existing 8 million dollars working capital would be used to develop two planes for the Malaysian Air Force.

PTDI recently failed to resolve the dismissal of 6,600 of its 9,000 workers through a bipartite negotiation, and the issue is to be taken up by the Committee for the Settlement of Labor Disputes, which is expected to prolong the process.
-(Xinhuanet)

For other technical data on this jet, visit:
http://www.indonesian-aerospace.com/cn235mil/

umair

Peace Enforcer
Finally! These beauties plus the An-32s on order from Ukraine and Hercs from the States would go along way towards bettering our logistics capability.

darklegent

Wait a minute all the world around armed forces are moving to rationalising their inventory.
It seems odd that these planes are being bought after having the hercs and An-xx's. I personally feel that the cost to maintain such a diverse inventory will be an added burden on the exchequers.
Better to go in for ONE specific plane for the needed mission.[/quote]

umair

Peace Enforcer
Wait a minute all the world around armed forces are moving to rationalising their inventory.
It seems odd that these planes are being bought after having the hercs and An-xx's. I personally feel that the cost to maintain such a diverse inventory will be an added burden on the exchequers.
Better to go in for ONE specific plane for the needed mission.
[/quote]

Gary! please elaborate! :help (the hi lo mix at it again)

darklegent

Ok lets look at the Americans first. The JSF is the based on a near indentical basic design for three quiet diffent vaients. The Hercs that Paskistan is also aquiring is a basic 1950 design which has been upgraded thru time. Next the Russians.... they use the basic Su-27 design to upgrade their front line planes. They use the An-32 an upgraded An-26.
Hey this get me of the topic al I meant to say was that having the same current generation of aircraft lowers the cost of inventory, manpower, resources and most important dependance of varied red tapism.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Nice. I like the CN235s. I think they are also a good platform for an AWACS / AEW type plane.
darklegent, Pakistan does not want to depend on just one type of plane because that is equivalent to putting all your eggs in one basket. Due to double standards of some western countries, Pakistan likes to keep the field a little varied...so that they don't see the "behind" of the country who supplied the plane in case of war.

Umair can you elaborate on that Antanov thing. I haven't heard of any Antanov which Pakistan ordered. :? thanks.

PAF's logistics capabilities are gonna get a boost with each plane delivered.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They are a good aircraft. Aust was looking at the CN-235 as a replacement for its Caribous. We looked at 2 versions, the original aircraft made by CASA in Spain and the Indonesian licensed built version.

Re the Hi Lo mix. Where approp an air force will try to mix its capability. In the case of the 235 because its relatively STOL and is therefore ideal for some unprepared airstrips, rough landing areas etc. The downside is that the smaller the transport, the less its carrying cabapility and felxibility in varrying more diverse and essential loads.

This is where the "Hi" equation comes in. Typically it is filled by an aircraft of the Herc 130 type sized aircraft. The "Hi" provides greater flexibility in load types, altitude (for spec forces parachute drops etc) and is generall a more robust aircraft.

The final thing is what Shamayel covered. Some countries will spread their platform type mix so that they are able to maintain some independance from potential embargo issues. That does incur extra logistics costs, operational costs and long term costs. A diverse capability also keeps the principle suppliers "honest" as they have to try harder for repeat business etc..

This doesn't completely cover the issues , but it will give you an idea of some of the purchasing reasons etc...

cheers. gf

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
umair said:
Finally! These beauties plus the An-32s on order from Ukraine and Hercs from the States would go along way towards bettering our logistics capability.
Were gettin An-32s? i nvr heard of such a deal. cud u tell me where u got this info from if its not askin 4 much?

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
CN-235's got added stealth features on it 2 makin it ideal 4 para commando drops, a past time hobby of the PAF which did para drops in the 65 war.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
corsair7772 said:
CN-235's got added stealth features on it 2 makin it ideal 4 para commando drops, a past time hobby of the PAF which did para drops in the 65 war.
what stealth features? its a prop, it makes lots of noise - believe me, I've been up in one.

theres more stealth in an elevator. ;)

A

Aussie Digger

Corsair, what are the stelath features of the CN-235? It's a large (relatively) prop driven transport aircraft. Neither it's fuselage, engines, paintwork nor wings exhibit any "stealth" features that I have ever heard of. In addition you can almost guarantee that given the aircraft's nav radar that it's electronic emissions are rather substantial, thus further reducing it's stealthiness...

Bilal_Khan

Pakistan's CN-235s will most likely be used for V.I.P purposes, because it would release the strain of this job from it's C-130s so they can peform their regular Medium Lift, and Paratrooping duties.

The PAF's Transport Fleet should look something like this after the addition of the new planes;
20 C-130
4 CN-235
it's likely that the PAF may not buy the An-32, and may choose for more CN-235s.

Bilal_Khan

Should the PAF buy An-32s, or more CN-235s ??

Seeing that the latest addition to the PAF's fleet, the CN-235 Transport Plane, I think the PAF should buy additional CN-235s instead of An-32s. Mainly because it'll be easier to induct the CN-235 now, and that costs will drop because the PAF would only operate like 2 different transport planes (C-130 + CN-235).