Indian jeeps for Afghan army.

Roger Smith

An Indian company is to supply jeeps to Afghanistan's fledging army.

Under a deal worth 70 million rupees ($1,5m), Mahindra Defence Systems will provide 80 sports utility vehicles and 40 jeeps over the next six months.

A number of Indian companies are already involved in construction projects in Afghanistan, which has suffered years of war.

The Indian Government has given assistance to Afghanistan in the form of food and airplanes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3467301.stm

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I got driven around India last year in a Mahindra, nice little 4wd's. Bit like a cross between a small mitsubishi pajero and a isuzu trooper.

Roger Smith

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf0012 said:
I got driven around India last year in a Mahindra, nice little 4wd's. Bit like a cross between a small mitsubishi pajero and a isuzu trooper.
Mahindra & Mahindra., India are producing various models of SUV, MUV and Jeeps, which one are you referring. :?:

Website;

http://www.mahindraworld.com

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Roger Smith said:
gf0012 said:
Mahindra & Mahindra., India are producing various models of SUV, MUV and Jeeps, which one are you referring. :?:

Website;

http://www.mahindraworld.com
1 looked like a scorpio and one was like a utility, (bolero) and the third was a military vehicle, like the 550

We changed vehicles going too and from mumbai to pune and then another city which I cannot remember the name of. (had to fly by private helicopter to get there as we couldn't get some military clearances in time. There were Mig 27's and Jaguars taking off every 5 minutes. I have no idea where I was (apart from Mumbai and Pune) as cameras weren't allowed. It took about an hr by helicopter from Pune though.

darklegent

Whats there in news that claims that a few jeps were given to the Afghan army. :? I remember the Indian government donating a few Airbus aircraft free to the Afghan Flag Carrier. Secondly the free aid provided by American goes quite unnoticed.
Though one bit of information does confuse me. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT SPORTS UTILITY VEHICLES IN THE ARMY? :D

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
darklegent said:
Whats there in news that claims that a few jeps were given to the Afghan army. :? I remember the Indian government donating a few Airbus aircraft free to the Afghan Flag Carrier. Secondly the free aid provided by American goes quite unnoticed.
Though one bit of information does confuse me. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT SPORTS UTILITY VEHICLES IN THE ARMY? :D
The reason why they use SUV's is that they are offroad capable. In the US military they have two types, MILSPEC and MILCOTS.

Milspec is a vehicle fully ruggedised and rated to survive in a hostile/combat area
MILCOTS = Military rated on a Commercial Off The Shelf product.

Eg it is slightly ruggedised and uprated to go into a theatre - but probably not used as aggressively as might be if fully specced.

A few militaries do this, Canada, Australia, India, New Zealand etc... The UN also uses MILCOTS.

MILCOTS are obviously cheaper than Milspec but slightly dearer than COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf product) ie, the vehicle you would buy straight off a show room floor.