II-76 AWACS (light at the end of the tunnel)?

PAF GIRL

These crafts could prove to be the light at the end of the tunnel that PAF has been looking for. Don't know much about them but whatever this chinese website provides.

A model of a new Chinese AWACS aircraft is revealed here. At least one A-50 type AWACS prototype was spotted under test in Nanjing carrying a CFTE emblem (serial # 762) in 2003. This could be an Il-76 fitted with an indigenous AWACS system (KJ-2000? developed by Nanjing Electronic Technology Research Insitute/14 Institute). The system is presumably similar, but slightly inferior to the Israeli Phalcon system onboard A-50I with a fixed (?) rotodome housing three phased array antennas in a triangular configuration. As the result a 360° radar coverage can be achieved. A large EW antenna is located inside the radome projecting forward on top of the vertial tailfin too. Two large angled ventral fins are attached underneath the tail to compensate the effort of rotodome on aircraft handling. An A-50 style IFR probe indicates its operations can be further extended with the tanker support.

At this website [ http://www.stormpages.com/jetfight/y-8x_sh-5_a-50i.htm ] there are bunch of other AEW planes as well, all depends on the credibility of the website. :roll

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
PAF GIRL, can't see the pics, the web link is working though...

The Yak8 using Eriscssons phased system would be a good choice though. The IL-76 mays are probably a bit large for the job - and I would suspect the SAAB/Ericsson system would be better.

The new Australian Wedgetail AWACs will have a sweep arc of over 400k's - thats considerably better than the Russian May AWAC's

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Please continue with discussion about AWACS and possibility of PAF acquiring some from China. NOT if a country should spend money on defence or not!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
WebMaster said:
Please continue with discussion about AWACS and possibility of PAF acquiring some from China. NOT if a country should spend money on defence or not!
did you delete a post? I can't find a response talking about spending money etc...

JTF-2 HOPE

Speaking Militarily:

This AWAC would seem the light, but
when are we going to get some of it? I hope
it is not to late.

The Watcher

If china has those jets then chances are pakistan will also get them very soon.

Can c-130 be modified to carry those radars? :eek:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There is a version of the new generation AWACs that is being offered on the market.

It was available for consideration when the Aust airforce was evaluating AWACs solutions. The Herc on offer used an E3 radome. The Australian Wedgetail is based on a modified 737. It has a wider wingspan than normal to fly at a slightly higher altitude.

But, there is no reason why an Ericsson or MESA strip radar couldn't be installed on a Herc. They're a good reliable and stable platform. In fact they have built more Hercs than Mikoyan did of Mig 21's. ;)

The Watcher

Israeli AF recently modified its 747/777 boeing jets for similiar purposes. They can do it because of stronge Aviation industry, but pakistan can't since no infrastructure to do the modification. Maybe in 10-20 years! :eek:

GF, do have to agree, ericsson is a good choice for pakistan. I believe pakistan tried getting those from Brazil in 90s but couldn't due to pressure from Uncle Sam. :mad

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
IMHO the Israeli, Brazilian and Swedish systems are the current leaders in small platform AWACs and EW airborne systems.

The Israelis arguably are the best. As for US resistance, I know that the US has rejected an attempt by India to buy the Arrow 2 ADS. India appears to have abandoned plans to procure the Israeli-origin Arrow-2 missile defense system.

/excerpt on

(Aust Defence Force news bulletin)

U.S. officials said India was told by the Bush administration that the United States would not permit the sale of the Arrow-2, developed with Washington in a joint project over the last 15 years. The officials said the range of the Arrow-2 medium-tier system would affect the balance of power with neighboring Pakistan.

Instead, the Defense Department has offered India the Patriot Advanced Capability, or PAC-3 system for New Dehli's missile defense requirements. Officials said India relayed a formal request for the PAC-3 in September as part of a proposal that New Dehli join a U.S.-led missile defense umbrella.

Officials said the sale of the PAC-3 system to India is probable but not certain. They said the State Department and Congress want firm assurances that India will not transfer U.S. missile technology to any third country, particularly Iran.

/excerpt off