Identification help !!!

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Revival_786 said:
Woah... (looking at tatra's post) :eek

That thing is huge... do armies actually use this thing? Do they fair well against tanks?
If you are referring to the Rooikat 8x8, although the operational South African army units have only a 76mm gun, they have on occasion made minced meat out of T55s and (I think) T62s in southern Africa. There is also a 105mm version and a version with single 35mm gun and ZT3 ATGW. Prototypes were built of a twin 35mm SPAAG (the ZA 35) and a SPSAM with 4 SAHV3 missiles (ZA-HVM), both using a common turret and the Rooikat chassis.

The G6 155mm SPGH has seen use with South African army and has experienced some export successes (UAE and - I think - India)

The Dana and variants are used mostly by Czech and Slovak armed forced but has also been exported to several countries.

Interesingly, both the turret of G6 and the turret of the VZOR77 have been trialled succefully on a T72 tank chassis. A variant of G6 turret has also been mated to the chassis of the Arjun MBT to make the Bhim tracked SPGH. The G6 chassis has been used to mount other turrets e.g. the british Marksmen twin 35mm SPAAG turret. There is also a twin 35mm SPAAG and I think also a twin 30mm variant using the DANA chassis.

South Africa also offers some pretty top notch T72 upgrades, including new barrel for 125mm gun, new commander and gunner sights, turret drive, firecontrol, environment sensors etc.

Typically SPGHs like DANA and G6 would not be employed against MBTs (but I suppose their guns could be effective in a direct fire role if the situation required this)