How good or bad are the Lynx and Wildcat?

A4scooter

Over the years I've read the occasional comment about how bad the Lynx was to fly, the naval Lynx sold relatively well while the Army Lynx received no export orders and the Wildcat has only received 10 x export orders from South Korea and the Philippines.

Is the Westland / AgustaWestland Leonardo sales department no good at their job, it's a bespoke design for the UK military which has made it harder to sell or is the helicopter just no good?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redlands18

Over the years I've read the occasional comment about how bad the Lynx was to fly, the naval Lynx sold relatively well while the Army Lynx received no export orders and the Wildcat has only received 10 x export orders from South Korea and the Philippines.

Is the Westland / AgustaWestland Leonardo sales department no good at their job, it's a bespoke design for the UK military which has made it harder to sell or is the helicopter just no good?
With the increasing size of warships and room for bigger Hangars and Flight Decks we have seen a general move towards larger shipboard Helicopters. Unlike the RN most Navies aren't interested in operating two different size maritime Helicopters and Leonardo (Agusta-Westland) are also a major partner in the NH-90 program.

Last edited by a moderator:

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never read any comments on the Lynx being bad to fly - some comments about the noise from the gearing giving it a specific acoustic signature, which I guess might make it less useful for troop insertions but that's the only adverse comment I've heard. Mainly, as Redlands has indicated, it's a bit small for the onboard role by modern standards and something nearer a Blackhawk seems to be in favour.