Hezbollah landforces

contedicavour

KGB said:
It's a bit to generalized to say that Guerilla's primarily attack civilian targets. Guerillas prioritize easy targets. That's what being assymetric is about isn't it? Guerillas target civillians if it suits them. The civillians could be allied with their enemies (or guerilla rivals for example). They could target civillians to keep them under control, or to collect "revolutionary taxes" from. Hezbollah's guerillas by the way seem remarkably disciplined. Lots of so called "freedom fighters" are little more than bandits and extortionists with assault rifles.
Agree... besides, the Hezbs target civilians because psychologically it hits Israel more then targeting soldiers on the front line, and it forces the Israeli government to react or prove its inability to bring security to its people. In this case the Hezbz probably underestimated the level of response the IDF were willing to send ... but the tactic did weaken the Israeli government at the end. Damn, they are less and less guerrillas and more and more elite troops of an undercover army :sick

KGB

Hezbollah has high influence in the population base, and has effective troops. Why? Because it has a budget that might dwarf some third world armies, and because the troops and leadership don't pocket the money. The seemingly absence of corruption is one of Hez's core strength. Israel would do well to let lebanon prosper. The lure of "the good life" might let get to some of the Hez members, and pretty soon they'll be as corrupt (and toothless) as the PLO allegedly is.

Big-E

Banned Member
KGB said:
Hezbollah has high influence in the population base, and has effective troops. Why? Because it has a budget that might dwarf some third world armies, and because the troops and leadership don't pocket the money. The seemingly absence of corruption is one of Hez's core strength. Israel would do well to let lebanon prosper. The lure of "the good life" might let get to some of the Hez members, and pretty soon they'll be as corrupt (and toothless) as the PLO allegedly is.
I used to agree with this but the more I watch the Middle East and the GWT unfold I'm starting to believe prosperity isn't the answer to stop militant Islam. Something has to be done from the institutional learning basis if attitudes are to change.