Georgia Seeking Anti-Aircraft Defense Against Russia

yasin_khan

Georgia will build an anti-aircraft system giving it complete control of its airspace by the end of the year, Defense Minister Giorgy Baramidze said Sept. 20, after its northern neighbor Russia threatened to strike at terrorist bases beyond its borders.

"We intend to take total control of our airspace, and to that end we will build an anti-aircraft defense," he told reporters before boarding an overnight flight for Washington, where he is to meet U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

He did not say which system Georgia hoped to acquire, but he acknowledged that it could not afford state-of-the-art systems such as the U.S.-manufactured Patriot missiles.
Baramidze accused Russian aircraft of violating Georgian airspace twice in recent days, first on Sept. 16, when, he said, they flew over the Kodori Gorge, part of the breakaway province of Abkhazia which is outside government control. He said that Russian helicopters had violated Georgian airspace a second time on Sunday, by flying over the northern Chatili area, near the Georgian border with Chechnya.

The commander of the Russian air force, Vladimir Mikhailov, denied the allegation in remarks quoted by Interfax news agency, but admitted that his aircraft had flown over the mountainous area separating Georgia and Russia.

On Sept. 13, four days after 339 people were killed when Russian troops stormed a school where Chechen rebels had taken more than 1,000 hostages, President Vladimir Putin vowed to strike at terrorists beyond the country’s borders if necessary.

Russian officials have frequently accused Georgia of failing to prevent Chechen guerrillas moving through its territory to strike at targets in southern Russia.

Tbilisi has received U.S. military aid totaling $47 million (39 million euros) since early 2002, according to figures released by Washington.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=363602&C=airwar

adsH

i think they should get aerostat as the main sensors and get Ukraine to integrate there sam systems with the Aerostat, whats the price per-unit on aerostats?
i think the US can offer Georgia a reduced rate for the patriots but i wouldn't count on it!!

the best thing for them would be to get the US made Radars and there control cueing systems and integrate them with ukrainian based SAM s. i am sure lockheed can help intigrate them too.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Gain complete control of the airspace ... with just SAMs and no fighters?!? Unlikely!

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Ukranian SAM? You think the Russian wouldn't know how well the system works?

It's pretty pathetic to hope to stop the Russian airforce with only SAMs. But then again a nation as small as Georgia wouldn't last very long even if it had advanced fighters. The whole country is in range of Russian short range ballistic and cruise missiles. I think the only thing that keeps Georgia from becoming a second Chechnya is the presence of U.S forces in the country.

srirangan

Banned Member
This is all going to get very interesting/ If Russia ups the ante, I'ld expect to see a US withdrawal and cease help to the Georgian president. US is in no position to deter a motivated Russian preemptive assault on Chechen training camps in Georgia. US is just too stretched already, plus RUssia has the moral right to hit these terror camps just as US hit the Taliban.

neel24neo

the american reaction to a russian strike should be interesting.but then american morality is quite different from morality for rest of the world.