Civil Maritime News & Discussion

Redlands18

Australia's icebreaker Nuyina 'hit' Tasman Bridge multiple times during computer simulations - ABC News
The ongoing saga of the new Australian Icebreaker Nuyina continues, it cannot pass under the Tasman Bridge in the Derwent River in its home port of Hobart, during computer simulations it hit the bridge 4 times and now has to travel 660ks to Burnie to refuel. The Tasmanian government is assessing the viability of a fuel barge to save on the extra $875,000 it costs.
Decades on from the Tasman Bridge disaster, the memory of the tragedy still haunts the state - ABC News
The bridge has already been hit once by a large ship, the ore carrier Lake Illawarra which brought down a 127m section resulting in the deaths of 5 motorists and 7 crew members.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I saw this link on fb and thought it illustrates the scale of engineering reqired for fitting/refitting modern pod systems.
These are possibly? bigger than the ones fitted to the RAN LHDs
Interesting.
Excellent video which really shows how much engineering goes into these pods. I wonder how many of these pods ABB makes every year? I imagine most pods are for cruise ships, a few warships, and special application vessels but maybe there is some interest for commercial ships.