General Information about the Australian Army Recruit Training

snoopyk8

Is there someone out there that is able to tell me exactly what recruits get up to in the 12 weeks there away at the Kapooka training base. And why do all the drill sergents get everyone to yell everything. Can i pick someones brain about the Australian army training please.:) :)

A

Aussie Digger

snoopyk8 said:
Is there someone out there that is able to tell me exactly what recruits get up to in the 12 weeks there away at the Kapooka training base. And why do all the drill sergents get everyone to yell everything. Can i pick someones brain about the Australian army training please.:) :)
Sure. For starters, basic training at Kapooka is 6 weeks in duration nowadays. There is also an advanced component now for regular soldiers only, that continues for another 3 weeks. After that you're off to your intial employment training (IET) school.

During that time you are taught the basics (as the name suggests) about being a soldier in the Australian Army. Everything from wearing and maintaining your uniform, webbing and packs, to drill, basic fieldcraft, basic weapons training, first aid, basic tactical skills training (ie: basic drills, basic patrolling etc).

At the conclusion of your basic training you conduct a "challenge" which includes a forced march, bayonet assault course etc. The course concludes with your "march out".

Sergeants do not "make you yell everything out" in the Australian Army. That's an American thing. In fact at Kapooka, you'll have very little to do with a sergeant at all. Training Corporals run the show.

Lanz0r

So...No angry drill sergeant?

Well, cross one "con" of my list of reasons why I'd reconsider enlistment after I finish school :)

A

Aussie Digger

Lanz0r said:
So...No angry drill sergeant?

Well, cross one "con" of my list of reasons why I'd reconsider enlistment after I finish school :)
I didn't say there weren't any "angry" Sergeants, I just said you won't have much to do with them. They aren't "drill Sergeants" either. You've watched Jarhead, Full Metal Jacket or Officer and a Gentleman too many times...

They are "platoon Sergeants" and they are responsible primarily for administrative matters within platoons (35-40 persons) and you'll only have limited interaction with them. You'll have even less with your platoon commander (A lieutenant, pronounced "leftenant" with whom you'll have a couple of interviews is probably about it) unless you're not performing well...

As to angry Corporals, well you may find one or 2 there, but there anger has a purpose (generally), to get you performing a required, and it will be feigned to a degree...