Future options for the RNZN

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
As an engineer in the RNZN, these issues are world wide, and incorporated in the hull construction when building them world wide regardless of where they are to be operated
Yes and if you are able to you will select the materials most appropriate to the environments in which your ships will operate. Why because over the 20, 30, or in the case of the RANs AWDs the 40 years they are intended to operate it will save you time and money.

Same with coatings and cathodic protection systems, they cost money time and weight but if you want your ship to last you will choose appropriate systems.

The only time you wouldn't go to the extra effort and expense is if you were acquiring a platform for a finite service life and the off the shelf materials, coatings and cathodic systems (if any) were good enough to give you the life you needed.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
........ I also feel that whilst the Northern Hemisphere ships are built for the conditions of the North Sea, North Atlantic and tropical conditions I think that they are not built to withstand the pounding of the Great Southern Ocean. What people forget or don't realise is that waves are a function of wind speed and fetch.

You are kidding I hope. There is a pretty good reason the north atlantic has it own Load line zone and it is not because that piece of water is a cake walk. It is particularly nasty in winter. I would suggest you don't decry norther vessel on this basis. Happy to have a robust discussion on design but to suggest conditions down here are much worst the WNA is nonsense.