Finnish - Russian Conflict (Warning: Graphic Images)

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Recently came across these photos taken by the Fins during Russian invasion of Finland in 1939. As we all know, the Soviets failed to accompolished their objectives and suffered massive casualties against the outnumbered and outgunned Finnish. These photos seems to be the aftermath of the battle of Raate-Road. The Soviets lost as many as 17,000 men in this battle alone.

Still think war is glorious?

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Context.

Finnish Defence Forces to keep 300 sensitive wartime photographs in military area

20.11.2006 at 16:18

Finland's military said Monday it would keep about 300 sensitive wartime photographs at the Defence Forces photograph centre, part of the Santahamina barracks.

National daily Helsingin Sanomat had reported in its Sunday issue that the material would be moved to the Military Archives, which, while organisationally a unit of the National Defence College and by extension of the Defence Forces, imposes few restrictions on access.

By contrast, civilians need military clearance to enter Santahamina.

The photographs, some of which show women and children killed by Soviet partisans and document cannibalism practised by Red Army soldiers, were declassified on Monday, but it remains difficult for the public to access them.

"We are not going to organise any kind of exhibition. The media bear the responsibility for making the photographs public," Ossi Kervinen, a Defence Forces spokesman, told the Finnish News Agency (STT).

Mr Kervinen said that the final storage place of the photographs had yet to be decided and that they would stay in Santahamina for the time being. He added the Military Archives and the Military Museum were candidates.

http://virtual.finland.fi/stt/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=14354&group=General

More pics + article.

Too awful an image of war

contedicavour

The horrors of the war take nothing out of the fact that the Finnish troops performed gloriously in defence of their homeland !

I recommand reading this book, very very interesting. You can find it on Amazon.

A Frozen Hell: The Russo-Finnish Winter War of 1939-1940 by William Trotter (Paperback - Jan 2000)

cheers

LancerMc

Thanks for putting up the photos. They help remind us that war is nothing pretty or exciting, but actually horrific and sad.

With so many of the veterans from that period of horrible wars dieing off, soon images like these will be the few reminders of what these wars truely cost.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got more images in my hard drive, but too lazy to upload them right now. I'll do it right after I finish my exams in the next two weeks.