Dear Admin....

Brit

Dear Admin

I am quite frustrated at the inability to display remotely linked images in the main forums. The attachments option doesn’t compensate as it seems to have a really low capacity and makes for a disjointed thread.

I think that dropping the odd illustration into discursive text makes for a better read –a picture says a thousand words.

Sorry if this is a tired topic but why do you have this “no pictures†policy and can it not be revised to allow remotely linked pictures?

Thanks,

Brit

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
Yeah me too. I also wanted to post some pictures which i had received after a long search on the web there was a thread i dont really know its name i think it was cyber warfare .And there was a question that can any one jam or send any kind of virus to the militery sites to get the benifits during or before the war i had some pictures to demenstrate that how foolproof that system is which the militery is maintaining there are some other places to where i need to post an image but they do no apper on in the post after posting plz allow us to use this facility i will not make forum to look like the image gallery but i will post necessory pictures

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Brit, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Attachments:

How big do you think the size of allowed attachments should be? Currently, it's 150 KB.

What type of attachments would you like enabled? Currently, you can attach JPG, JPEG, GIF and PNG types with size of 150 KB and .DOC and .PDF types with size of 195 KB.

Also, attaching pictures does not disjoint the thread. In fact, it creates a thumbnail which is embedded into the thread/post.

As far as allowing pictures in all forums... well let me discuss that with the team and I will get back to you.

If we do go ahead with pictures in all forums, then we may have to dismantle the images forum as it would be reduntant to have pictures gallery and specific forum for pictures when people are discussing picture related topics in other forums where picture posting is allowed.

Thanks again and enjoy.

Brit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply.

A decent sized jpeg is probably 30kb+ so three-four of them puts you over the limit.

The reason I said that I think the attachments feature can create disjointed threads is this; because all the pictures are at the bottom of the post together it can be difficult to work out which picture relates to which comment in the post, particularly if types are being compared.

Remote linking has several advantages, notably that unlike attachments, there is no filesize overhead. You can also place them anywhere in the post thus allowing you to illustrate several points separately.

You needn’t worry about copyright because as long as the picture is annotated, it classes as “critique†–whereas attachments are inherently remote from their annotation in the post and so, in theory, could actually increase the likelihood of it being considered a copyright infringement. But in practice copyright is rarely an issue and if it is, it can easily be resolved by editing the post.

The only real issue that I can see is bandwidth leeching –by remote linking images you may inadvertently eat up someone else’s bandwidth. HOWEVER, you could counter this concern by encouraging (even insisting?) that pictures are uploaded onto Tinypic (www.tinypic.com) and remote linked from there. At any rate, the traffic on this board is hardly likely to bring down other people’s sites by bandwidth leeching (no offence).

Thanks for listening,
Brit

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Also, while I think this over; consider using the pic insert from the gallery. The tutorial is listed in the military images forum in gallery updates thread. Let me know what you think about that. Uploading to the gallery would be the best option it would update the gallery as well as serve the purpose by enabling you to insert pictures that would allow you to specify which picture is going with which comment.