China's new toy

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
CSS said:
I do agreed to gf0012 that the vessel might be intended for littoral ops.

Maybe PLA plan to deploy such craft around Spratly Islands at South China Sea supported by larger vessel. A frigate maybe. :?

Using such kind of craft will be an added advantages to counter Asean countries patrol vessel around the area. No need for them to deploy a squadron of their large combat vessel. (which they can redeploy to other area).
They would be an ugly little irritant around thge Spratleys, and if thats the case, then they would be a problem vessel in the making.

The PLAN is structuring for island strikes, and I doubt that Taiwan is the test lab to work out whether they can operate under combined arms. China hasn't fought a modern war, it's prev wars have involved continental advantages - so The Spratleys are an ideal environment to test out new battle doctrines.

my 2cents worth anyway. ;)

CSS

gf0012 said:
CSS said:
I do agreed to gf0012 that the vessel might be intended for littoral ops.

Maybe PLA plan to deploy such craft around Spratly Islands at South China Sea supported by larger vessel. A frigate maybe. :?

Using such kind of craft will be an added advantages to counter Asean countries patrol vessel around the area. No need for them to deploy a squadron of their large combat vessel. (which they can redeploy to other area).
They would be an ugly little irritant around thge Spratleys, and if thats the case, then they would be a problem vessel in the making.

The PLAN is structuring for island strikes, and I doubt that Taiwan is the test lab to work out whether they can operate under combined arms. China hasn't fought a modern war, it's prev wars have involved continental advantages - so The Spratleys are an ideal environment to test out new battle doctrines.

my 2cents worth anyway. ;)
Innovations do offer certain degree of risk...new doctrine might work or might lead to a disaster. But based on the assumption of the payload it will be suffice for Spratly's dominance.

I don't think Asian navy will be able to counter such vessel effectively, maybe Vietnam but for Phillipines, Malaysia and Brunei, they just watch such vessel lurking around..rather irritating.. :roll

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CSS said:
Innovations do offer certain degree of risk...new doctrine might work or might lead to a disaster. But based on the assumption of the payload it will be suffice for Spratly's dominance.

I don't think Asian navy will be able to counter such vessel effectively, maybe Vietnam but for Phillipines, Malaysia and Brunei, they just watch such vessel lurking around..rather irritating.. :roll
vietnam cannot counter these boats, their warship is mostly 60's design style with chinese and russian supplied old weapons. i doubt that their radar will print the new chinese boats effectively. and alos their navy personal isn't as well-trained as china's

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Those navies with subs have a better chance at dealing with these vessels - especially in littorals.

Chinese ASW technology is woeful. Subs have been able to trail Chinese vessels with minimal fear of being painted. China does not have a decent array system in place - and certainly doesn't have any arrays in place in the Spratleys.

To the West is the Indian Naval facilities in the Andomans and Nicobars, these are probably the most effective Naval facilities outside of the new base in Singapore in the region.

The Singaporean modified Lafayettes are regarded as the best of the type, and they are considered a better unit than even the French originals.

There are two navies in the region that are capable of stopping a Chinese expeditionary force. China just does not have the capability to wage expeditionary war on some of these countries in region. She is a continental power only in the projection sense. Seizing an open Island system is far different from an expeditionary assault on a defending foe.

CSS

gf0012 said:
Those navies with subs have a better chance at dealing with these vessels - especially in littorals.

Chinese ASW technology is woeful. Subs have been able to trail Chinese vessels with minimal fear of being painted. China does not have a decent array system in place - and certainly doesn't have any arrays in place in the Spratleys.

To the West is the Indian Naval facilities in the Andomans and Nicobars, these are probably the most effective Naval facilities outside of the new base in Singapore in the region.

The Singaporean modified Lafayettes are regarded as the best of the type, and they are considered a better unit than even the French originals.

There are two navies in the region that are capable of stopping a Chinese expeditionary force. China just does not have the capability to wage expeditionary war on some of these countries in region. She is a continental power only in the projection sense. Seizing an open Island system is far different from an expeditionary assault on a defending foe.
That is why Royal Malaysian Navy acquire 2 Scorpene. Such inventory will really give RMN an ability to counter PLA Navy in better terms. Another hope for RMN is their new PV from Meko 100. I hope the second batch will pack more firepower(SSM, SAM and torpedos). The first batch (6 units) is only equip with 1 main gun & 2 small caliber gun :(

If I not mistaken, Vietnam already acquired new missile boat from Russia, can't recall the type but rather fast and pack with 4 SSM??? Anybody can enlighten me on this?? :?

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Vietnam has ordered some 375 ton Svetlyak (project 10410/10412) patrol boats from Almaz in Russia. Some version of that boat (project 10411) can carry russian 2x4 Uran SSM. Otherwise armament is 1x76mm gunm, 1x AK630 30mm gatling, launching station for SA-7/Igla-1 type MANPADS. They do 30 knots. However, I believe the 2 Svetlyak's built for Vietnam only have gun and SAM armament and no SSM. Delivered in 2002. See: http://www.almaz.spb.ru/home/about.asp

I believe Vietnam also ordered or is building a variant of the Russian MOLNIYA missile boat (Project 12421) with similar armament which includes 4 SS-N-2C Styx SSM and 2 instead of just 1 AK630. This Tarantul I (NATO designation) is bigger (450 tons) and faster (43+kn) than the Svetlyak. Think they ordered 4. They are looking into getting more, but of the Tarantul III variant with 2x2 Sunburn SSM

Vietnam also built 2 BPS-500 FAC with 2x4 Uran, 76mm gun and 30mm gun and 2x 12.7mm MG. These are Russian-designed, based on 'Tarantul'/'Pauk' hull and displace 520tn with top-speed 32 knots.

In relaton to these boats, this from http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/1242.htm:
"In January 1999 it was announed that Vympel and Rosvoorouzhenie were to deliver two Project 1241RE missile boats to Vietnam. The [frigate] will come in versions which include a powerful gunboat, a patrol ship, a plane shooter and a hunter for submarines. The pilot ship of the series is already under construction for Vietnam. The [frigate's] streamlined hull and low-profile superstructure provide an excellent hiding envelope for everything that generates noise or heat, reflects radar pulses or disturbs magnetic fields. Moreover, the superstructure can be coated with stealth materials that make it invisible to radars. Propelled by two powerful water jets, the ship can race across shallows at over 30 knots. Big fuel tanks and fuel-saving diesel engines allow it to carry out missions at up to 3 thousand nautical miles from home base. Despite the displacement of just 545 tons, the frigate carries a formidable array of weaponry on board. This includes eight Kh-35 [SSN-X-25 Switchblade] anti-ship cruise missiles with a range of over 130 kilometers, two torpedo tubes, several anti-aircraft missile batteries of the VIKHR-K and IGLA makes and a number of large-caliber machine-guns. " [of course, it should read corvette rather than frigate]

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Almost like a smaller version of the Littoral Combat Ship. Fast, heavily armed, semi stealthy etc

Penguin fodder!

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
a) BPS 500 type large missile boats
Displacement: 517 tons full load
Dimensions: 62 x 11 x 2.5 meters/203.4 x 36 x 8.2 feet
Propulsion: 2 diesels, 2 waterjets, 19,600 bhp, 32 knots
Crew: 28
Radar: Positiv-E/Cross Dome air/surf search
EW: 2 PK-16 decoy
Armament: 8 Kh-35 Uran SSM, 1 76.2mm/59cal DP, 1 30 mm AA, 2 12.7 mm MG
Concept/Program: Russian-designed, based on ''Tarantul''/''Pauk'' hull. Being built in with Russian assistance and imported materials.

b) Russia''s Northern Project Design Bureau (SPKB St. Petersburg a.k.a. Severnoye) has completed preliminary design work on its KBO 2000 (Project 2100) corvette for NC. The 2,000-tonne corvette will feature the SS-N-25 ''Switchblade'' SSM, SA-N-9 ''Gauntlet'', a 100mm gun, two 30mm guns and torpedo launchers. A helicopter landing platform has also been incorporated in the corvette''s design. The vessels are under construction at the Hoshimin shipyard in NC. Jane''s Defence Weekly, 24 March 1999

Here's the pair

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
if china attacks the spratly islands in the future a few advanced boat from vietnamese navy won't be powerful enough to stop them. Most likely china will launch a combined forces operations involving naval aviation, surface warships and submarines. keep in mind that the FBC-1 was design to have a far enough combat radius to effetively support the sea operations in south china sea.

and yes china's ASW capability is terrible, but has improved alot since 1996, better sensors and weapons has been developed although still in small number. it will be at least a decade before china can have a decent ASW capability.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Pathfinder-X said:
if china attacks the spratly islands in the future a few advanced boat from vietnamese navy won't be powerful enough to stop them.
I think the key point is not that they are being built but rather that they are being built in Vietnam....

pezfez

well malaysia, along with the 2 scorpenes, is getting meko 100 stealth corvettes from germany (this is from another forum, world armed forces forum) and they already have the lekiu sp? and laksamana sp? corvettes and frigates, more than enough to detect and paint a chinese warship, or ne warship.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
pezfez said:
well malaysia, along with the 2 scorpenes, is getting meko 100 stealth corvettes from germany (this is from another forum, world armed forces forum) and they already have the lekiu sp? and laksamana sp? corvettes and frigates, more than enough to detect and paint a chinese warship, or ne warship.
Are you awre of the difference between the MEKO 100 and the MEKO A 100?
The first is an off shore patrol vessel that can be armed lightly. The second is a low observable corvette. Malaysia has acquired a development of the first, not the second.

MEKO 100 OPV
@ http://212.72.173.53/img/meko_100opv_aussen.jpg

MEKO A 100 corvette
@ http://212.72.173.53/media/a968fb88226448f5594002ab869bf4e4.jpg

The actual ship built for Malaysia MEKO 100 RMN
@ http://212.72.173.53/img/meko100_rmn1.jpg