China's New 115 DDG?

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
The 115 image above is a PS image (derived from 167). It shows 115 with 4-6 8 round VL SA-N-6 (Rif) launchers. The big thing on top of the "hangar" is a fire control radar for it called Tombstone. The entire fit is speculative.

IMHO, 115 is a modified 167. I expect a 100mm single DP gun, 2 Type 730 CIws and 2 HQ7 with assisted reloading, 2x3 tubes for ASW lightweight torpedo's. 2x4 SSM, 1 Z9 ASW heli's. Alternatively, a 100mm single DP gun, 2 37MM twin guns, 1 Type 730 CIws and 1 HQ7 with assisted reloading, 2x3 tubes for ASW lightweight torpedo's. 2x4 SSM, 2 Z9 ASW heli's.

I'm not counting on seeing VL SAM's on this one.

wp2000

Just to an old news.

When the first 052B ship 168 was launched almost 3 years ago, there were 2-3 chinese forumers implied that 052C would be built. Also, 051C would be built in Dalian too, and it would use 167 051B's hull plus the RIF system bought by china.

Now, almost 3 years later, we see this 115 ship, which most forumers outdside china think it's just another 167.

Let's wait and see. Shouldn't take too long. 115 has just been moved away.

Ths

Banned Member
Right we have the DDG's
D 112 PLAN Har Bin
D 113 PLAN Qing Dao
D 115 PLAN Shen Yang

But what about DDG 114?
and what is she called?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Any other information for the public about the hull number system in the PLAN
its not on my DB which is less than 30 days old. But from an unquotable source:

I show no 114. It may have been planned as a sister for the not too successful Luhai. Not all numbers are used by PLAN. Numbers identify the fleet - and change if a ship changes fleets or if their tasking changes (cutely referred to as "other reasons".

the russians used to duplicate their numbers on experimental vessels so as to confuse spotters - but there doesn't seem to be solid ref to a 114. They've done the same with the 2208 class - ie no consec penants.

Ths

Banned Member
Well I just wondered if 115 was an unlucky number in China like 13 is in the west. Or it is a reflection of a change in plans.

I think the Myanmar Navy skips odd numbers - any superstitious explanations there.

The Dutch Navy has a list of Karel Doormans, i.e. a list of all the ships that has been called Karel Doorman - sort of defies the purpose of a name.
:confused:

Ths

Banned Member
Hiding big warships

About Shanghai being a big city: The USS Wasp just visited Copenhagen - unannounced: Not only did she lie in Nordhavnen which is cordoned off in itself as it is the old "undeclared" part of the harbour, but she flew the Bravo and was very unaproachable.

contedicavour

its not on my DB which is less than 30 days old. But from an unquotable source:

I show no 114. It may have been planned as a sister for the not too successful Luhai. Not all numbers are used by PLAN. Numbers identify the fleet - and change if a ship changes fleets or if their tasking changes (cutely referred to as "other reasons".

the russians used to duplicate their numbers on experimental vessels so as to confuse spotters - but there doesn't seem to be solid ref to a 114. They've done the same with the 2208 class - ie no consec penants.
Indeed. Jane's also shows Harbin (112) and Qingdao (113) of the Type 052 followed by Shenyang (115) and Shijiazhuang (116) of the Type 051C. Strangely enough the follow-ons to the Type 052 are the Gunagzhou (168) and Wuhan (169) Type 052B class.

cheers

Ths

Banned Member
Thanks for the information. Anybody after what system they OMIT numbers? Military people tend to be very methodical.

As one of my freinds remarked on a military manual:
"It give the impression that is has been written by someone that has aquired litteracy comparatively late in life - AND is now determined to prove to his superiors that he has succeeded".

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Right we have the DDG's
D 112 PLAN Har Bin
D 113 PLAN Qing Dao
D 115 PLAN Shen Yang

But what about DDG 114?
and what is she called?
The pronunciation of 4 rhymes with the word death in China, so I guess that is why the number wasn't used. Many apartment buildings in China do not have a 14th floor since that rhymes with "absolute death".

Ths

Banned Member
That is a good an explanation as any - and probably right.

As a personal aside: My late grandfather had 14 as a personal lucky number.

qwerty223

The pronunciation of 4 rhymes with the word death in China, so I guess that is why the number wasn't used. Many apartment buildings in China do not have a 14th floor since that rhymes with "absolute death".
not really
14 may sound like "one die". "1" may not represent anything at all.:)
104 gives a sound of "absolute death", because "must" in chinese have a sound very close to "1 0".:D

Ths

Banned Member
Can I take it that 114 sounds like a stuttering assasing in Chinese??

It must be difficult to be an accountant in China then.

wp2000

Indeed. Jane's also shows Harbin (112) and Qingdao (113) of the Type 052 followed by Shenyang (115) and Shijiazhuang (116) of the Type 051C. Strangely enough the follow-ons to the Type 052 are the Gunagzhou (168) and Wuhan (169) Type 052B class.

cheers
Acutally, it's not that complicated: PLAN has 3 fleets. For major combantants, i.e. DDG and FFG, PLAN uses 3 digits as penant numbers: 1-29 belongs to North Sea fleet, 30-59 East Sea fleet, 60 up South Sea fleet. (This is what ROUGHLY have been the case for PLAN, but it may change soon). It has nothing to do with the family of the ship.

BTW, PLAN has 2 families of DDG: 051 and 052, also 2 families of FFG: 053 and 054. DDGs penant numbers are 1xx, FFG penant numbers are 5xx.

Hope this is clear enough.

Also, rumors say, south sea fleet's 167 was originally the 114. But it was later "robbed" from North sea fleet, as PLAN dedided to strategically shift the focus to South China Sea.