China up in arms after Indonesian navy ship fires on Chinese vessel

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
China up in arms after Indonesian navy ship fires on Chinese vessel

BEIJING:

China said Thursday it was "astonished and strongly dissatisfied" after an Indonesian warship opened fire on a Chinese fishing boat, killing a crewman and wounding two others.

"We have made solemn representations to the Indonesian side, expecting it to inform us of the latest developments," an official at the Chinese embassy in Jakarta Yu Hongyao told the China Daily.
Yu said the Chinese government was "astonished and strongly dissatisfied" with the actions of the Indonesian navy.

The incident took place Monday when the KRI Tanjung Dalpele came upon four boats believed to be illegally fishing in the Arafura Sea between Indonesia's Papua and Maluku provinces.

Three of the ships fled. The navy vessel hailed the fourth one, MV FuYuan 123, which was carrying the Chinese flag.

Captain Melis from the Indonesian Eastern Fleet Navy information office in Surabaya, East Java said standard procedures were followed.

He said after the boats ignored calls to halt, three shots were fired into the air, and then gun was fired at the side of the Chinese vessel which suddenly veered as if trying to collide with the warship.

The China Daily said 13 shots were fired.

The damaged ship and its remaining 13 crew members are in detention at a naval base in Merauke on the southeastern coast of easternmost Papua province.

"We're informed that the health of the detained crew members is OK, and we have asked the Indonesian side to treat them humanely," Yu was quoted as saying.

The Indonesian navy has been seeking to crack down on illegal foreign fishermen.

Source: DefenceTalk News
Link: http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_003502.php
Some times I think there is some thing wrong with Indonesians specialy with its armed forces. They attack unarmed chinese fishing boats, try to target Australian fighters over international waters etc & ruining their relations with almost all its neighbours. Even Malaysians have problem with them.

I doubt Indonesian navy would even be able to survive if Chinese were to attack them.

Hussain

I think the Indonesians should learn to board ships rather than blast them. I thought the indonesians had good special forces.

In any case the Chinese will proabbaly realise that the Indonesians have a right to protect their coastal waters, especially as there infrastructure on land isn't any good.

scraw

Defcon 6 said:
shooting a fishing vessel is pretty cowardly. I think China should squash them.
Balls to that. You're in another countries waters illegally and try to run from their Navy you deserve everything you get.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
scraw said:
Balls to that. You're in another countries waters illegally and try to run from their Navy you deserve everything you get.
Especially after you fail to "stand to" after a legitimate request. They were given the required warning shots prior to contact. At least it will encourage other illegals to stop in future.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
The fishing boat was caught red handed inside Indonesian waters, although the shooting was a bit of an overkill. If this type of event happened in Canada, we would do what's called as a hostile boarding and detain the vessel in our port until the proper paperwork is done. Only in the event that we come under fire then are we allowed to use deadly force.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pathfinder-X said:
The fishing boat was caught red handed inside Indonesian waters, although the shooting was a bit of an overkill. If this type of event happened in Canada, we would do what's called as a hostile boarding and detain the vessel in our port until the proper paperwork is done. Only in the event that we come under fire then are we allowed to use deadly force.
Its an over kill alright...this happens in lot of countries & the 1st move is hostile take over (If warnings fail) but Indonesians dnt seem to believe in it. They go for the kill right after the warnings.

srirangan

Banned Member
SABRE said:
Its an over kill alright...this happens in lot of countries & the 1st move is hostile take over (If warnings fail) but Indonesians dnt seem to believe in it. They go for the kill right after the warnings.
One would/should expect anyone to go for the kills after the warnings. Indonesia is showing that it ain't no Chicom lackey. Makes the region very interesting.

SOLDIER officer

Did anyone read the entire quote from the first poster? Wasn't the Chinese fishing boat veering towards the Indonesian warship? It seems to me that if the Chinese were trying to ram then the Indonesians had just cause to open fire. Is that not what really happened?

And yes, this sort thing makes the region more interesting. Lets hope the Indonesians take this to heart and buy more ships and weapons. And maybe the PRC will its a-- in gear and start paying attention to the South China Sea again.

wzhtg

This kind of thing is pretty common. Territoral waters incidents are very common. In the past when iceland and UK and a dispute, the iceland patrol vessels sometimes veer into the british fishing ships to force them out of the water. Recently got another incident when malaysian naval ship colluded with indonesian navy ship in disputed areas also and a few years back, SIngapore survillance ship for reclaiming lands was shot at by Indonesian navy, it had over 100 holes in it if i didn;t remember wrongly.

Berserk Fury

There really is no point in completely destroying a ship.
Just fire a few shells into the pilothouse or the rudder to stop it from running instead of wasting all that ammo and bugging a nation with bigger ships and nuclear subs.

I think another reason why our navy open a shot to the Chinese Ship, is because KRI Tanjung Dalpele was a Landing Platform Deck ship and it was maybe too big to boards to the Chinese ship.

Berserk Fury

ALL ships have RIB or the equivalent or at least a rubber boat...
All military ships have arms lockers.
so it coulda boarded the ship or put A FEW holes in it and rescue the survivers. Either way it happened the way it did... though why is a Landing ship patrolling territorial waters?
aren't patrol boats and corvettes/frigates suppose to do that?

I don't know either Berserk Fury, perhaps Tanjung Dalpele on her route to transport logistic for our troop near that area.It was also possible that our Navy shortage of ship that ready to operate, enforce Tanjung Dalpele to do that (patroli mission).

HYPERION III

I think that was pretty harsh, especially because Indonesian fisherman come and fish in our waters illegaly all the time, they also smuggle people in our waters.
They wouldnt like it if we shot up some of their boats.

Berserk Fury

The difference is that China is a growing world power while Indonesia is still small meaning China has to be chivalrous while Indonesia doesn't necessarily have to match China.

mach

It is not wise for Indonesia to provoke PRC. China has been tender for a long time whereas it doesn't mean she will be tender in future. Did Indonesia think China is as weak as 100 years ago?? If a war broke out,it do more harm than good for both their development.