Caseless Ammo for the 120mm question

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not being totally in know on land systems I'm hoping for some opinions here from those that are. It was suggested to me that the caseless ammo being used in the M1 is not as dependable as the older 105mm rounds were. I thought that caseless munition was supposed to be more dependable? Any thoughts, facts or conclussions?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Gremlin29 said:
Not being totally in know on land systems I'm hoping for some opinions here from those that are. It was suggested to me that the caseless ammo being used in the M1 is not as dependable as the older 105mm rounds were. I thought that caseless munition was supposed to be more dependable? Any thoughts, facts or conclussions?
I've had a discussion with a tanker who was in GW1. He preferred the caseless as it meant less of littering issue and made the process of ejection unnecessary after firing.

He's been operational in M60's, M1A1's and M1a2's and lurked around in Chally 2's on a partial exchange.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I could have read what I wrote before I posted, what poor english...egads!! Thanks for the info GF. An individual tried telling me that the caseless rounds were prone to misfire due to scratches (inflicted through normal handling) in the casing, which sounds absolutely absurd to me. However, I'm not a tanker and was wondering if this was a real issue or somebody just trying to act like they know what they are talking about. I've only seen 1 live M1A2 round in my life, and it looked pretty robust to me.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Gremlin29 said:
I could have read what I wrote before I posted, what poor english...egads!! Thanks for the info GF. An individual tried telling me that the caseless rounds were prone to misfire due to scratches (inflicted through normal handling) in the casing, which sounds absolutely absurd to me. However, I'm not a tanker and was wondering if this was a real issue or somebody just trying to act like they know what they are talking about. I've only seen 1 live M1A2 round in my life, and it looked pretty robust to me.
I'd find it hard to believe that a magnesium casing would score the breech or boreliner enough to effect the round. The case gets burned up, so it's pretty soft.

I think they've got their wires crossed somewhere...

umair

Peace Enforcer
Thank God! I only know aviation and infantry types.This topic has me in circles :?
Explanation required please.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
umair said:
Thank God! I only know aviation and infantry types.This topic has me in circles :?
Explanation required please.
The M1's use caseless ammo rather than the traditional (brass) casing and warhead.

On a normal ballistic weapon, once the round is fired the shell casing is ejected and the next round is loaded in.

Caseless ammo OTOH burns up the casing as part of the firing sequence. So there is no ejection, hence no littering of the inside of the tank (if no external ejection or evacuation hole is in the floor - which is a mine opportunity as it creates a vulnerable access point).

Caseless also means that the gun can have a higer rate of fire as the ejection reload process is shortened. On a handgun, caseless ammo means that it's also easier to fire underwater etc...

There's a raft of other opportunities, but these are the basic reasons.

Incidentally, the A-10 uses linkless ammo in much the same way. The links are magnesium so (IIRC) are burned up in the detonation sequence