Canadian Avro Arrow

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Winter, because we are dealing with technology at a processing level, I actually think that progress in these fields will probably take place at a "moores law" pace.

You only have to look at how UAV's have progressed since Iraq. Iraq was also the first time that systems were managed from space as opposed to being part of an indirect comms loop.

I don't think we are at the "buck rogers" stage, but I think that in another 3 years there will be another new doctrinal shift required to deal with the technology.

As an example of space based solutions, Australia is a goof example. We have had a nascent space capability starting from the late 1950's when atomic/hydrogen weapons were tested here, we have also developed numerous launch systems which were only peaceful. The first atomic weapon had an australian scientist on the team.

Nuclear power and weapons are "ugly words" for the australian public, but there is a genuine concern about North Korea behaving erratically. If North Korea did launch against Japan or South Korea I think there would be a dramatic change in australian attitudes.

A lot of people don't realise that Austra;lia had the 4th largest airforce in the world after the cessation of hostilities of WW2. The numbers mean nothing, what it does hilight is the manufacturing capability of the country when under pressure.

I hope that China is abl;e to contain North Korea, because the current prime minister is one who would send in forces if he thought it would bring stability into the region (what a contradiction in terms that is!)