Canada Defence Force

Mikeymike

The government looks to be making more defence cuts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/department-national-defence-budget-billion-1.6981974

I think the Canadian government and parties needs to have a serious look at what level of capability they wish to maintain and ensure adequate funding for it. Currently, they seem to desire a wide range of capabilities but are only willing to finance a portion of them. They need to prioritize what they actually want from the forces and fully commit to them, rather than half-assing them all resulting in brittle capabilities. This would mean admitting to the public that the forces can't do everything that's expected of them but at least you would have proper capabilities.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The government looks to be making more defence cuts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/department-national-defence-budget-billion-1.6981974

I think the Canadian government and parties needs to have a serious look at what level of capability they wish to maintain and ensure adequate funding for it. Currently, they seem to desire a wide range of capabilities but are only willing to finance a portion of them. They need to prioritize what they actually want from the forces and fully commit to them, rather than half-assing them all resulting in brittle capabilities. This would mean admitting to the public that the forces can't do everything that's expected of them but at least you would have proper capabilities.
IMHO defence cuts will continue until allies apply some serious pressure on Canada.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This is the Nation Post's take on yesterday's defence announcement. Junior has recently announced several billions for AI research, billions for new housing and the dental program is now starting along with all sorts of new programs. The defence update is the latest expenditure. Currently the deficit is $40 billion. Where exactly is the required money coming from? Also, no mention of the massive amount of money needed for new electrical infrastructure needed for junior's carbon free Canada.

John Ivison: The new Liberal defence policy's in no hurry to face dangerous global realities (msn.com)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article discusses what a 2% GDP could look like. Note that it was prepared prior to this week's defence update so some numbers are different. As per the paper, the update does strengthen Arctic defence but falls short in other areas. Also discussed in this article is subs and a recommendation some should be nuclear. There is also a link suggesting Canada will be the worst performing advanced economy out to 2060, not an encouraging prospect for defence.

What Spending Two Per Cent of GDP on National Defence Means for Canada - Canadian Global Affairs Institute (cgai.ca)

Delta204

Lots to unpack from this defense update - even though the submarine topic is bound to dominate the discussion. The next few years will be critical if these initiatives are to be successful, I do think the report acknowledges that more needs to be done besides replacement / buying kit; there's lots of large organizational challenges ahead like improving procurement, rebuilding military housing that is in very poor condition to help with retention etc. I hope the leadership (military and civilian) is up to the task; will likely need a strong and competent Defence Minister to see this through.

There is a veiled comment on page 22 that mention the Five Eyes partners and development of military capability. Could be setting the foundation for some type of AUKUS announcement down the road. While everyone wonders about submarines (especially SSN's), I personally think Canada could makes it's own splash by partnering with the US on a different type of cutting edge military platform - my personal pick would be NGAD. If the US is willing to share SSN technology with close allies then I think programs like NGAD would also be potentially open? Could even name the RCAF variant Arrow II and finally correct a Canadian historical injustice!;)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Lots to unpack from this defense update - even though the submarine topic is bound to dominate the discussion. The next few years will be critical if these initiatives are to be successful, I do think the report acknowledges that more needs to be done besides replacement / buying kit; there's lots of large organizational challenges ahead like improving procurement, rebuilding military housing that is in very poor condition to help with retention etc. I hope the leadership (military and civilian) is up to the task; will likely need a strong and competent Defence Minister to see this through.

There is a veiled comment on page 22 that mention the Five Eyes partners and development of military capability. Could be setting the foundation for some type of AUKUS announcement down the road. While everyone wonders about submarines (especially SSN's), I personally think Canada could makes it's own splash by partnering with the US on a different type of cutting edge military platform - my personal pick would be NGAD. If the US is willing to share SSN technology with close allies then I think programs like NGAD would also be potentially open? Could even name the RCAF variant Arrow II and finally correct a Canadian historical injustice!;)
I think NGAD is something the US won’t share with others, just like the F-22. At $300 billion each (low estimate) I guess pilot shortage wouldn’t be an issue though. Surface ships are a concern for me. I realize layered defence systems along with future directed energy weapons supposedly will protect surface ships but given recent advances in missile technologies and the increasing number of nations developing them I have my doubts. Add in AI and a sufficient number for a swarming attack…the odds don’t look good. SSNs are a significant investment but IMO offer the best combination of survivability and deterrent.

south

Sobering blog post in War on The Rocks regarding Canada’s defence readiness. The author posits a fundamental mismatch between Canadas self perception, awareness of changing environment, and willingness to fund the force appropriately. This leads to a force with ageing equipment, compounded by chronic personnel shortages leading to significantly reduced readiness when compared to NATO and other commitments.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Sobering blog post in War on The Rocks regarding Canada’s defence readiness. The author posits a fundamental mismatch between Canada's self perception, awareness of changing environment, and willingness to fund the force appropriately. This leads to a force with ageing equipment, compounded by chronic personnel shortages leading to significantly reduced readiness when compared to NATO and other commitments.

A good article that very accurately describes the current and near future condition of our armed forces. I would add that given Canada's poor economic performance combined with the long term planned acquisitions of new kit, the more distant future may not be great either. Despite some increased public awareness about the negative global situation, the general public apathy is a huge problem that allows pollies (almost forces them) to fund $hit to get re-elected. Sadly, I think only significant political and economic pressure from allies, especially from the US, will put a dent in this apathy. Realistically the odds of stuff hitting the fan within 5-10 years are pretty high now and even 5-7% GDP commitment now won't matter. Just my two cents.