Argentinian blockade of the falklands

jorgedr

Mr Sansom,
I perfectly understand your feelings, specially if there are related to WWII, to those men and women that fought against the horrors of axis war machine, they did a service to theirs countries but to the mankind as a whole and we are proud of them without matter our nationality.
The main porpouse of my post was to clear some misunderstandings about how we think about the subject here in Argentina
Jorge

Grim901

Jorge, thanks for giving us your point of view, mind if I ask a couple of questions on some points that I never seem to understand with the Argentinian side?

Whether they are there legally or not, the Falkland Islanders have no other home, they don't know Britain anymore than I know a country thousands of miles away. So if Argentina were to regain control, what would happen to them? These people don't want to live under Argentine rule (understandably, I don't want to live by the rules a nation completely foreign to me) so would they be forced to leave? How can Argentina justify forcing people from their homes, either directly or by ignoring their wishes in the first place?

And you mentioned briefly in your post the issue of oil. Where do you stand on the treaty that Argentina ripped up that would have entitled you to some of the wealth that may be there (of which you will now get none)?

Finally how can you justify a "blockade" that contravenes international law whilst saying that it is the British who are wrong because they broke those laws? And despite the change of government is it really possible to ignore a war that killed hundreds of people and ended in a very certain outcome?

Those are just points which, try as I might, i've never found an answer to. Perhaps you can clear some up. Thanks.

jorgedr

Grim,
First thing, here you are getting my knowledge and thoughts about the matter this is not our official position but mine and I think many of my fellow citizens here. in Argentina.
Again there is not such thing as "blockade" ongoing, there are not warships stopping any ship that tries to go to the islands, as far as I know is more like "if you wanna go the island better no use our sea or ports without our permission" or something like that, I'm sorry I could not find the original news on our newspapers right now in order to get the proper statement but there is no military deployments or anything like that, basically there is nothing illegal going on from our part as far as I know.
The post from user "swerve" on post #13 on page 1 was clear about that.

You said "Whether they are there legally or not..." please explain why we have to abide international laws regarding a blockade that only exists in the mind of the one that started the thread but not if the islanders want to be there, "legally or not".

As Alonso Quijano pointed out on his post, #33 of the thread we had inhabitants and even a governor and proper authorities on the islands until they were expelled by force by the British on 1833, I hope that answer your question about we ripping of the islander wealth, as far as I know were were ripped off in first place 177 years ago and that is the main base of our claims along with geographical and historicals events, sharing profits from what is 100% ours to begin with is not that bad.

About the islanders nor in the 1982 neither now is our intentions to force the islands population to become Argentineans, I mean to force them to use our language or resign their British passports or anything like that, expelling them, out of the question, never even thought about that, not even the bloody dictatorship we suffered back then wanted to do that.
I know is a complex matter but they want us to recognize their rights they says earned through 177 years of settlement, but they forgot the rights we had until 1 day before our settlement was expelled, lets say 177 years +1 day ago?
Please understand the fact that nobody here is talking about expelling them or wipe out their way of living, not even in 1982 was the idea.

And about the war itself, NOBODY, ABSOLUTELY NOBODY HERE FORGOT OR IGNORED ANYTHING ABOUT THAT WAR AND THE ONES DIED THERE EITHER SIDE.
Because of that we decided to go only the diplomatic way, with that said the islands will probably be under British control for many years to come, is not like I'm pleased with that but that is how the world is now days
Because we remember what is was our darkest times as a Nation, not only because the war but because we were suffering the most horrible dictatorship in this part of the world nobody here ignores that war., trust me.

Jorge
PS: Is almost 1am at night here in Buenos Aires so I'm too tired to spell check my post please apologize any misspelling on the text above

swerve

Super Moderator
Finally how can you justify a "blockade" that contravenes international law .
There is no blockade, there is no breach of any law.

See what happened when two Typhoons out of MPA requested permission to transit Argentinean airspace en route to Punta Arenas? Permission granted, no fuss. Argentinean air force & ATC acted surprised that the press should find such a small thing of interest, when asked about it. Just a routine ATC matter, to them. Think about the implications of that.

jorgedr

That´s right swerve, that happened a few days ago, in the same line on 2006 the Antarctic Ice patrol ship HMS Endurance got damaged it's rudder that were repaired at port Belgrano, our main navy port base, free of charge as far as I remember.
When our icebreaker suffered a major fire accident few years ago the HMS Endurance was offered to help the replenish of our antartic bases in return of the favor.

Our relationships are not that bad as some claims.

Jorge

John Sansom

That´s right swerve, that happened a few days ago, in the same line on 2006 the Antarctic Ice patrol ship HMS Endurance got damaged it's rudder that were repaired at port Belgrano, our main navy port base, free of charge as far as I remember.
When our icebreaker suffered a major fire accident few years ago the HMS Endurance was offered to help the replenish of our antartic bases in return of the favor.

Our relationships are not that bad as some claims.

Jorge
Just a quick note to thank both Jorge and Swerve for their two latest posts and the information contained therein. And, Jorge, FYI, me naci en la ciudad de Mexico muchos anos pasados. Hoy dia, yo no puedo hablar nada en Espanol, la lengua de mi nacimiento.. However, your English looks like it's going to become better and better every day.

jorgedr

Just a quick note to thank both Jorge and Swerve for their two latest posts and the information contained therein. And, Jorge, FYI, me naci en la ciudad de Mexico muchos anos pasados. Hoy dia, yo no puedo hablar nada en Espanol, la lengua de mi nacimiento.. However, your English looks like it's going to become better and better every day.
Thanks John,
I have a technical degree en Electronics, when I was a highschool student one of my teachers told me "Jorge, in electronics, if a book or handbook is in spanish is probably old and a bit outdated, you better start to learn english..." that is what I did and since I have been working for USA based companies for the last 10 years that helped a lot :)

best regards

Jorge
PS: off topic, I know but wanted to say thanks to John

Grim901

Nice to hear of some cooperation between the nations at least, thats the foundation for overcoming old rivalries. It's also very necessary in the harsh conditions of the South Atlantic that ships and aircraft look out for each other, not many others about to come to their aid if something goes wrong.

swerve

Super Moderator
Indeed. I think that for the most part, everyone down there sees the weather as the common enemy, & co-operates against it.