Alphanumeric designations

Rimasta

I’m curious, why do certain classes of missiles from nations that don’t use or speak English or use a similar alphabet use alphanumeric designations on their missiles? For example, why would a Chinese missile display the characters “YJ”? I’ve seen such markings from a number of nations in Asia and I’ve always wondered why they do that.
Also recently with the attack on the Saudi Oil facility, one missile body shows an alphanumeric marking of “MC-79050”. Some have stated that such markings are proof it was a “false-flag” Operation.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I’m curious, why do certain classes of missiles from nations that don’t use or speak English or use a similar alphabet use alphanumeric designations on their missiles? For example, why would a Chinese missile display the characters “YJ”? I’ve seen such markings from a number of nations in Asia and I’ve always wondered why they do that.
Also recently with the attack on the Saudi Oil facility, one missile body shows an alphanumeric marking of “MC-79050”. Some have stated that such markings are proof it was a “false-flag” Operation.
Almost all missiles and weapon systems have alphanumeric designations, whether from English speaking countries or not. i.e., the US' Minuteman ICBM's alphanumeric designation is LGM-30. The YJ designation by the Chinese is assigned to its anti-ship cruise missile series and is shortened or driven from the word Yingji (YingJi) meaning Eagle Strike. China assigns DF designation to its ballistic missiles, which is shortened from Dongfeng meaning East Wind. The numeric indicates advancements in the series or variations within the series, and in some cases year of production and batch number. Countries where English is not the native language use the English alphanumeric designations because English is global lingua franca and the target audience will understand it better.

MC code is usually used by the US and other NATO members.

Silver Cat

When they want to show off for Westies, they use Roman letters:

IMG_20191224_224320_124.jpg

If they do for themselves - no:
IMG_20191224_224028_406.jpg
IMG_20191224_224559_349.jpg

@Silver Cat Please provide links to material that you post. Forum rules require it and it is to protect both the forum and you against allegations of plagiarism.

Ngatimozart

Last edited by a moderator: