Aegis combat system

God Bless USA

The Aegis combat system is an integrated weapons system used by the United States Navy and a few other countries. I don't know much about other systems in use now. Is it the most advanced system in use today? Is there any other systems being tested that are more advanced?

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Yes, there are a few alternatives. E.g.

From Israel: the ELTA EL/M-2248, also known as Multi-Function Search and Target Acquisition Radar (MF-STAR)

From the Netherlands/Germany/Canada: (on LCF and F124) SEWACO X + Thales Active Phased Array (APAR) multi-function radar + Smart-L

From Japan: Mitsubishi/Thales FCS-3 Kai phased-array radar system (on 16DDH) + ?

From Australia: CEA-Saab with Advanced Air Warfare System with (CEAFAR/CEAMOUNT)

From China: see Type 52C destroyers.

From UK: (on Type 45) Principal Anti Air Missile System (PAAMS) with
SAMPSON multi-function air tracking radar and S1850M 3D air surveillance radar

the road runner

Australa have chosen the Ageis system for the up and comming Air Warefare destroyer,but is this the right system for australia? I am asking this question because the system dates back to the 80s,ofcourse with updated systems and sensors ect.The reason i think Australia chose this system was because it represented an off the shelf system,less risk and economy of scale,I.E.over 70 system on US Navy ARLEIGH BURKE ships.
I consider the US Navy as having some of the biggest,badest toys in the world,and there has been speculation that chinese spys have had access to information on an aegies system.

http://www.washtimes.com/news/2005/nov/04/20051104-111851-2539r/

What i would like to know off the member is

1.Would this leak of information damage the security of australias AIR WAREFARE DESTROYER?

2.Is the Aegis system the right system for australia?

3.Is the CEA-Saab Advanced Air Warfare System with (CEAFAR/CEAMOUNT) a similar system to Aegis or do the 2 systems compliment one another?

4.Can the Aegis system be overwhelmed by a number of Anti ship missles/bomber,planes or dose the system track everything in its radar scope.ie 1-100 targets ect?

Sorry if these questions sound silly,as i have no knowladge on ships,systems or tactics in warefare

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
PAAMS and AEGIS can both track over 1000 targets. And they can engage 10+ simultaneously. CEAFAR/CEAMOUNT is not of the same caliber of system, they are going to be added to the ANZAC class frigates during their mid life upgrades and have been tested on one of the frigates for a while.

CEA currently has their next radar under development, AUSPAR. As i know nothing about it, i suppose its always possible that it could be a competitor to Aegis and PAAMS once it is developed.

Totoro

1. To some extent, yes, but it is really an ongoing process of cat and mouse chase; various weapon systems were always continuously updated through history, as the enemy would gain more and more intelligence on the older variants.

2. If we assume that there are several "right" systems available for Australia, then yes.

3. Yes, it is similar in the sense it is trying to do the same thing, only on a smaller and cheaper scale. It would be logical to assume aegis system is overall better.

4. Yes. Radars and combat management system may track hundreds of targets at any one time, but if enough missiles approach the ship (near) simultaneously, one gets to a bottleneck due to the illuminators. Even withi all the time-sharing, there is still a finite number of missiles one illuminator can guide. Actual number we can't know, could be anything from several to a dozan missiles per illuminator, depending on various factors.

It has to be said that coordinating a strike where dozens of missiles will approach the enemy ship simultaneously is also not an easy task. Furthermore, defense systems like PAAMS and future variant of aegis (with sm-6 missiles) don't have that bottleneck, as their missiles have active terminal guidance. Their bottleneck is either number of separate datalink channels for midcourse guidance or perhaps (in my opinion less likely) firing rate at which missiles can be launched from VLS.

Last edited: