ADF: Hovercraft?

Supe

If the Australian government goes ahead with plans to acquire 2 x LHD's would it be feasible to also procure other platforms associated with amphibious operations; in particular hovercraft? I would be interested to know if RAN is looking into obtaining this versatile craft.

pic1
pic2

Source: defence.gov.au - Exercise Talisman Sabre.

Edit: Could an admin please move this to the Navy forum. Thanks.

Last edited:

driftder

Interesting - if the Australians pick the LCAC, I hope Singapore will do so as well. Maybe we can save some money if we buy together at or around the same time as the Aussies? Hope so.

Here's some info which I pinch from a fact file at this website: http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-lcac.html.

General Characteristics

Class: LCAC 1
Builder: Textron Marine and Land Systems/Avondale Gulfport Marine
Power Plant: 4- Allied-Signal TF-40B gas turbines (2 for propulsion/2 for lift); 16,000 hp sustained; 2- shrouded reversible pitch airscrews; 4- double-entry fans, centrifugal or mixed flow (lift) / 4 – Vericor Power Systems ETF-40B gas turbines with Full Authority Digital Engine Control (FADEC) (2 for propulsion/2 for lift); 16,000 hp sustained; 2- shrouded reversible pitch airscrews; 4- double-entry fans, centrifugal or mixed flow (lift)
Length: 87 feet 11 inches (26.4 meters)
Beam: 47 feet (14.3 meters)
Displacement: 87.2 tons (88.60 metric tons) light; 170-182 tons (172.73 - 184.92 metric tons) full load
Range: 200 miles at 40 kts with payload / 300 miles at 35 kts with payload
Speed: 40+ knots (46+ mph; 74.08 kph) with full load
Load Capacity: 60 tons / 75 ton overload (54.43/68.04 tonnes)
Military lift: 24 troops or 1 MBT
Crew: Five
Armament: 2 - 12.7mm MGs. Gun mounts will support: M-2HB .50 cal machine gun; Mk-19 Mod3 40mm grenade launcher; M-60 machine gun
Radars, Navugation: Marconi LN 66; I band / Sperry Marine Bridge Master E
Date Deployed: 1982

Heard that the US Marines used it to great effect during the tsunami aid operations as it can roll right up the beach before unloading its cargo. Any pics on that?

A

Aussie Digger

Australia has just acquired the first of 6 new Amphibious Watercraft as part of Phase 1A of Joint Project 2048. These are replacements for the Army's venerable LCM8 watercraft (operated by 10 Force Support Battalion in Townsville).

These watercraft are traditional style amphibious watercraft though they are more capable than the LCM8's and can support the 63 ton M1A1 Abrams for amphibious ops. They also have better armour protection than the LCM8's and are faster, more maneuverable and possess greater range.

As these were acquired under Phase 1A, the naming of this phase indicates that further phases are planned. The 2 large LPD's should be able to carry more than the 2 watercraft/LCM8 transports that the current gen Kanimbla/Manoora can manage, indicating that further amphibious watercraft type vessels may be required. These may be additional phase 1A vessels or a new type.

I'm not sure about Hovercraft, they are awfully expensive for a capability which os of limited use, compared with LCM8 type vessels. I'd rather this money be put into additional watercraft and helo's, which would provide greater amphibious capability than the few hovercraft we could afford...

A photo of a new watercraft under construction can be found here:

http://www.adi-limited.com/images/watercraft.jpg

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
AFAIK Oz has only got one hovercraft - thats the little sucker that does gun bunny jobs out at Pt Wakefields WT range. :D

A

Aussie Digger

Jason_kiwi said:
Whay will they be used for???
NZ is aquiring 2 LCM's will they be a bit like them???
They are to be used for transporting men, vehicles and material from the larger Amphibious ships (in Australia's case, HMAS Manoora and Kanimbla, in NZ's case: the MRV) to the shore in order to conduct Amphibious or "over the beach" type landings.

NZ's will be very similar to Australia's and possibly even the very same craft.

HMAS Manoora and Kanimbla will each carry 2 such watercraft and the MRV probably will too. Australia's future 'larger' Amphib ships will probably carry more than 2...

A

Aussie Digger

gf0012-aust said:
AFAIK Oz has only got one hovercraft - thats the little sucker that does gun bunny jobs out at Pt Wakefields WT range. :D
I've heard of that, but a long time ago and the details are hazy. It's supposed to be hilarious...