A question about exiting / entering a submarine?

DRUB

I have been trying to look for this information for quiet a while, and yet, have been unable to find any information on it. What i am talking about is how infantry units (SAS etc) exit a submarine when its submerged?

Do they even exit it when its submerged? Or does the sub come to the surface?

Sorry, if this question is wierd, but, i have always wanted to know and yet, found nothing.

Cheers

DRUB

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i didn't know wether to post it here or in the naval section. Mods feel free to move it to the naval section if need be

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Either or. Some exits can be made through the tubes. or via the sail.

Depth of exit will determine whether they use breathing gear. The USN also has 2 subs specially designed for the job, plus they have specwarfare "mini-subs" which are attached like remora fish over what used to be ICBM hatches.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
You won't get much info on the conventionals, but there is basic info on the US systems.

do a google for "Advanced SEAL Delivery System".

I've got pics of the Collins class Torpedo room, but am not in a position to upload them.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
I do believe that the sub must be on periscope depth or lower and at speed less then 3 knots to make that possible. So i think it is possible to exit the subs with only normal diving gear.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Awang se said:
I do believe that the sub must be on periscope depth or lower and at speed less then 3 knots to make that possible. So i think it is possible to exit the subs with only normal diving gear.
The Americans can do deepwater exits, they were doing them prior to the development of the ASDS.

DRUB

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf, thanks for the lead. I am reading up on it now. It would be interesting to know how exits are made through the torpedo tube and how the soldiers cope with being in such a confined space.

adsH

yeah i think they do it at periscope depth and i am sure i think they use the balistic Misile hatches which can be depresureized and filled with water at time of exit i actually saw that somewhere in a video they do it for inlitration while in secret ops.they have alot of gear for it lol americans have too many gadgets while i think sas just use standard equipment lol they even use plastic bag to cover there rifles. :D

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
DRUB said:
gf, thanks for the lead. I am reading up on it now. It would be interesting to know how exits are made through the torpedo tube and how the soldiers cope with being in such a confined space.
1 x skinny water proofed trooper with personal possessions attached to a sep bag and an umbilical.
shut the gate
flood the tube
swim out

do not say to the weaps officer "fire fire fire" or "loose loose loose"

;)