A nice little photo - courtesy of Microsoft - of an Ohio's propellor

dave_kiwi

Verified Defense Pro
Once again - an amusing little article from the Sydney Morning Herald:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/nuclear-submarine-secret-exposed-on-web/2007/09/04/1188783202402.html

Quote: ....The image - which appears on Microsoft's Virtual Earth mapping service - is of the seven-bladed propeller used on an Ohio class ballistic missile submarine.

There was a link to the image - but I see Micorsoft have removed it

Maybe this is old news to some -- but for me it was interesting .. didn't really grasp how far propellor technology (?) had advanced. If I understand correctly .. this maybe even "old" hat now ?.. water jets the up & coming ?

metro

Once again - an amusing little article from the Sydney Morning Herald:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/nuclear-submarine-secret-exposed-on-web/2007/09/04/1188783202402.html

Quote: ....The image - which appears on Microsoft's Virtual Earth mapping service - is of the seven-bladed propeller used on an Ohio class ballistic missile submarine.

There was a link to the image - but I see Micorsoft have removed it

Maybe this is old news to some -- but for me it was interesting .. didn't really grasp how far propellor technology (?) had advanced. If I understand correctly .. this maybe even "old" hat now ?.. water jets the up & coming ?
Now they're talking about it on the news as a great disinformation campaign.:rolleyes:

"It's a good thing, nobody will ever know if that's true picture or a fake mock up. We'd love some country to spend all the money to reverse engineer, from a picture, something that has no use in the end.":rolleyes: USN on FOX & Friends Morning News.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
If the USN really didn't want anyone to see this prop they would have erected a roof over the shipyard. We have to presume that the USN has heard of Google Earth and Russian spy satellites can no doubt provide much clearer resolution than what we can see. ;)

Tas