Backscatter X-ray

ssavxray

Dear All,
I am analysing possibilities of X-Ray backscattering for determination of submerged into soil object, exactly land mines.
There was some time ago some information on such development by YXLON, but it was not clear if it was of any success. My estimations of the possibilities of determination of TNT in sand or something like that indicate that such method looks to be not promissing. But may be I am mistaking.

Shall be thankful for any information

ssavxray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
backscatter x ray landmines - Google Search

There are a few articles on landmines and through wall detection, as well as the spin-off of the new airport scanners

Yes, there are. But I did not find any on exactly land mines after 2005. Looks a bit strange. Either it became too closed, which seems to be rather unprobable, or it has turned to be not practical.

My estimations show that mine swipping on the base of XBT should not be efficient. But may be I am mistaken?

As for airport scanners and that type of things all is more or less understandable.

jack412

it seems boeing is very active and put a gen 2 patent in 2009
System and methods for x-ray backscatter reverse engineering of structures - US Patent 7623626 Abstract
Abstract
A system and methods for x-ray backscatter reverse engineering of structures. One embodiment includes a plurality of articulated arms attached to a movable base. Another embodiment includes a single counterweighted arm attached to a movable base. The arms include x-ray detectors. At least one x-ray source, which may be mounted on the arm(s), emits x-rays, which are backscattered off the surfaces and objects of interest and captured by the detectors to generate images of hidden objects. The present system provides improved speed and resolution over prior art systems. The system has a field-of-view and effective scanning range versatile enough to work in various orientations and in environments of various sizes. In certain embodiments the system is compact and lightweight so that it can be easily transported and used within confined spaces or in environments where weight is a consideration, such as inside or underneath aircraft. The system is also pointable and adaptable.

Last edited:

Kiwikid

I understood that British Aerospace had a far more adaptable system with infra red detection of mines in the field from heat signatures in the ground?

mdmurphy14

Buried IED and person borne IED

My company has developed a long range suicide bomb detection system and it has been test at the US Department of Defense JIEDDO and has successful exceeded JIEDDO requirement s of detection of threats, the system can also be use to provide an early warning to your troops of possible buried IED or roadside bombs ahead to them. The system is low cost and will provide protection for your troops against threats in the theater. This product would greatly benefit you and provide Safety. I understand the Military is still seeling technology to detect IED from a distance is that the case

dshedlock

X-ray Backscatter Works Great for Mine Detection

The University of Florida had a series of publication for x-ray backscatter and mine detection. Deployed on actual mine the fields, the system had a 100% probability of detection and zero fall positives. That product is now licensed to Nucsafe. It is possible to build an x-ray backscatter system that can scan for landmines at 5 km/hr

Dear All,
I am analysing possibilities of X-Ray backscattering for determination of submerged into soil object, exactly land mines.
There was some time ago some information on such development by YXLON, but it was not clear if it was of any success. My estimations of the possibilities of determination of TNT in sand or something like that indicate that such method looks to be not promissing. But may be I am mistaking.

Shall be thankful for any information

dshedlock

X-ray Backscatter For Mine Detection

The mine detection market, like every other market is very political. We could easily build an x-ray backscatter device that would detect buried landmines.

dshedlock

The reason you did not find anything after 2005 is because the work was funded by the Army. It's cheaper to move through with a thrasher and blow them than to detect and dig them up.

Yes, there are. But I did not find any on exactly land mines after 2005. Looks a bit strange. Either it became too closed, which seems to be rather unprobable, or it has turned to be not practical.

My estimations show that mine swipping on the base of XBT should not be efficient. But may be I am mistaken?

As for airport scanners and that type of things all is more or less understandable.