Anti ship/Submarine thing!

adil

well this is another one of my crazy ideas!!! i was thinkin that whether a remote controlled anti ship/submarine missile system could be made that would be basically a big hollow boulder with a few openings that missiles could be launched from. the boulder itself would sit on the sea bed so that it wouldnt really stand out.i want to know if sonars would be able to detect this thing, or would it look like a normal boulder to them?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
adil said:
well this is another one of my crazy ideas!!! i was thinkin that whether a remote controlled anti ship/submarine missile system could be made that would be basically a big hollow boulder with a few openings that missiles could be launched from. the boulder itself would sit on the sea bed so that it wouldnt really stand out.i want to know if sonars would be able to detect this thing, or would it look like a normal boulder to them?
RC sea floor based mines already exist, in fact nuke versions exist. As for non detection, it's extremely unlikely. All mines have metal in them, so any mine will give off a magnetic or "other"resonance.

On top of that it depends on the location. eg, if you tried to drop a sea mine in australian waters, then it would be able to be detected quite easily. There is technology designed to identify it under given circumstances.

adil

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
damn!! :( o well, at least i can say i thought of that rc mine thingy without knowing they existed :smokingc:

adsH

adil said:
i am not sure about sonar's but fully automated systems like making those mini subs with similar AI software to the patriot misslles system and give each vessel to provide an ID tag to detect it if it is friend or foe. they can lie dormant for years at the base of the sea and could be activated by a unique wide band radio signal to activate and deactivate at times of war. Hey i was looking at some generation algorithms for the AI class so i thought that Idea would work what do you think. :alian2

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
adsH said:
i am not sure about sonar's but fully automated systems like making those mini subs with similar AI software to the patriot misslles system and give each vessel to provide an ID tag to detect it if it is friend or foe. they can lie dormant for years at the base of the sea and could be activated by a unique wide band radio signal to activate and deactivate at times of war. Hey i was looking at some generation algorithms for the AI class so i thought that Idea would work what do you think. :alian2
Already exists. ;)

adsH

gf0012 said:
adsH said:
Already exists. ;)
damm!! :mad but detecting a sub at the base of the ocean in the arbian see would be hard the sea is quiet noisy and heaven for Subs that why PAK NAVY is so effective.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Detecting underwater mine is still a tough and dangerous job. Modern Underwater mine was made from composite materials or non-ferous metals thus making them hard to detect by magnetic sensors. their position on the bottom making sonar search almost impossible. The obvious solution to this is to detect the mine during deployment. I heard stories about US using imaging satellite to track down Iranian minelayers and mark the spot where they drop their cargoes. There,s also a dolphin, can't say more about those.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Awang se said:
Detecting underwater mine is still a tough and dangerous job. Modern Underwater mine was made from composite materials or non-ferous metals thus making them hard to detect by magnetic sensors. their position on the bottom making sonar search almost impossible. The obvious solution to this is to detect the mine during deployment. I heard stories about US using imaging satellite to track down Iranian minelayers and mark the spot where they drop their cargoes. There,s also a dolphin, can't say more about those.
Even non-ferous mines are able to be detected. A mine that is sea bed based has certain charcteristics that assist in narrowing down a search for it. These include factors such as absolute operational depth.

The entire coast of Australia has been laser depth mapped. Anything that is an aberration runs a greater risk of being will be picked up.

adsH

gf0012 said:
Awang se said:
Even non-ferous mines are able to be detected. A mine that is sea bed based has certain charcteristics that assist in narrowing down a search for it. These include factors such as absolute operational depth.

The entire coast of Australia has been laser depth mapped. Anything that is an aberration runs a greater risk of being will be picked up.
Is the map available to every one or is it kept with the Australian authorities i am sure the aggressors would be denied of such information wouldn't you think so!!.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
adsH said:
Is the map available to every one or is it kept with the Australian authorities i am sure the aggressors would be denied of such information wouldn't you think so!!.
No, it's classified data. IIRC the Swedes and the US have been leasing the technology to do similar "research"

adsH

gf0012 said:
adsH said:
No, it's classified data. IIRC the Swedes and the US have been leasing the technology to do similar "research"

yeup my point being the agressor would purposely be denied of such detail classified data makeing them unable to distinguish objects underwater.
i know this is fiction too i was watching "Alias" the CIA show. and i saw them do an impressive underwater map search from there database they were comparing a robaldy map and they traced it near the australian water that might be what the Australians (GF u guys) have been mapping impressive work!! I am now officially impressed by Australian research!! do you think this was done useing Manual sonars or satalites i think it is possible to use sats in this case!! the mars probe has a satlite mapping the mars terrain using special systems on bord could that be the same sort of equipment.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The technology is aircraft carried, so a larger UAV can carry it. I would assume that the need to operate it from a satellite where regular passes can be made has occurred to many people ;)

A satellite is an inherently stable platform so it is ideal. Conversely, I cannot see any reason as to why it could not be used on a submarine as well. (which gets back to the infamous "blue laser" technology)

The thing about Australians is that we don't like being told that things can't be done, and because we don't have the defence budgets of other countries, we tend to do things a lot more cheaply than other militaries.

There is a lot of "smarts" in this country - more than what most Australians are aware of. Problem is that half the time we end up losing such technologies overseas as the monies aren't available to further develop them.

In the case of the above system, that isn't the case though.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Looking back in gulf, they have trouble clearing the coast. And that is a low cost low tech moored magnetic influence mines. They have to use a dolphin to find the mines. I heard that the dolphins sonar were so advance, they can actually tell different materials just by bouncing sound on it.

adsH

Awang se said:
Looking back in gulf, they have trouble clearing the coast. And that is a low cost low tech moored magnetic influence mines. They have to use a dolphin to find the mines. I heard that the dolphins sonar were so advance, they can actually tell different materials just by bouncing sound on it.
poor dolphins !! brought into the navy, to be the new soldiers !! are we becoming the next flintstones!!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
gf0012 said:
The technology is aircraft carried, so a larger UAV can carry it. I would assume that the need to operate it from a satellite where regular passes can be made has occurred to many people ;)

A satellite is an inherently stable platform so it is ideal. Conversely, I cannot see any reason as to why it could not be used on a submarine as well. (which gets back to the infamous "blue laser" technology)

The thing about Australians is that we don't like being told that things can't be done, and because we don't have the defence budgets of other countries, we tend to do things a lot more cheaply than other militaries.

There is a lot of "smarts" in this country - more than what most Australians are aware of. Problem is that half the time we end up losing such technologies overseas as the monies aren't available to further develop them.

In the case of the above system, that isn't the case though.
Not so sure about that. The mine removal was done by Australian Clearance Diver teams, they were the only ones that the americans wanted as they are considered experts.

I know that the US tried Seals in other locations, but due to weather conditions the seals couldn't cope and they bought dolphins in.. But the harbour clearance was done by Australian Navy CDT's.