Process of getting into australian navy

emma_barber1

Hi my name is Emma Barber and i am 16 years old. I live in South East Melbourne and am currently in year 11 and want to send in an application to the Navy as a Medical Sailor.
I have always wanted to join as my family are in/have been in the Defence Force, so its always been a passion of mine.

I am applying in just under one month as you have to be 16 years and 6 months, so when i do i am just wondering;

How long is the process to get in into the Navy? I know you have to do a series of interviews/tests, but how long does the whole process go for?

Also, how many do they recruit a year?
And, Do they do mid year intake for the training in Cerberus? Or is it yearly?

Any other information would be nice,
I am very determined to do this.

Thank you,
Emma B.

LancasterBomber

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
How long is the process to get in into the Navy? I know you have to do a series of interviews/tests, but how long does the whole process go for?

Thank you,
Emma B.
Emma,

A lot of your questions are hard to answer (for me at least). The length of your application into ADF can take about as long as a piece of string. Depends largely on your circumstance as well as the demand (by Navy) for your chosen position.

This may sound like a long time but I would mentally prepare yourself for a 2 year process. Then expect to take another 12 months to get through your category training. It takes time to make a good sailor! (Chances are it wont take this long but it has been known to happen)

I say that because in general the 'Medic' category isnt a high turn over position. You may find some delays from when you apply to when you get to go to Cerberus due to the fact the Navy will like to streamline its training continuum (i.e it generally brings medics through recruit school in 'bunches').

This isnt always the case but is my experience from what I know. How frequent these intakes are I am not sure.

You are very young but I wish you well. I am not sure if the ESP program will still be running by the time you apply but it might be something you should look into (after Year 12). Often it is a 'backdoor' into a category that would otherwise be deemed 'closed' to the general public applications.

What is right for you is your call and your decision. My advice (for what its worth) would be to finish year 12 and broaden your horizons for a few years and then look to joining the RAN. Having said that I know there are some people in this world who just have a calling and know their path. In that case go for it!!

Good luck with your application Emma. The RAN is an amazing organisation to work for. I love it.

PS. Remember to be patient and work hard. Things can seem to move slow (or be physically beyond you) but when you get to where you want to be you will be so glad you hung in there. Keep plugging away.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hi my name is Emma Barber and i am 16 years old. I live in South East Melbourne and am currently in year 11 and want to send in an application to the Navy as a Medical Sailor.
I have always wanted to join as my family are in/have been in the Defence Force, so its always been a passion of mine.

I am applying in just under one month as you have to be 16 years and 6 months, so when i do i am just wondering;

Thank you,
Emma B.
If you want to be a medic go for it, and make sure you want to go to sea, too many are trying to stay ashore, and by time you get in there will be even more chances for seatime with the LHD.
Getting in can be quick or long, depending on luck and how many people are applying. Mine took longer then id hoped but once done its gone quickly.
You get 100-180 recruits per intake per month, so every four weeks cept Xmas theres a new intake.
For medics it can at times be delaying, especially medics course as only 2 run a year at cerberus, so may finish recruit training then have to wait around for Catagory training to start. Medical course from what my mates told me can be hard, but stay at it and you get a sweet gig. have had great medics, who treat crew for silly things more then anything flash like bullet wounds etc(go through Singapore you treat alotta others things as well...but thats for another time)
I hit 3 years in Nov and time has flown by, done 2 ships and a gulf deployment and love the job, love the 'puss' and love the sea.
If you get in, stick with it, lots of time down in 'hells gate' can be antagonising or annoying, frustrating waiting for the system down there to work, but once out and posted to East or West, all new options open up. Never knock back posting to a ship going to sea, whether for a week or a year, as the experience gets you closer to more oppurtunites and places to go.
Good luck, and see you in the fleet in couple of years!:D