"Carrier"

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
In the US PBS is showing this new documentary called "Carrier", it is about the USS Nimitz 2005 deployment. Unlike every other Navy documentary I've ever seen it isn't a bunch of mostly file footage with some officers talking about how great the ship is. This show however is pretty uncensored and is a "warts and all" view with mostly the lower and mid level enlisted. A lot of the stories are quite moving and it is great to see these people talk honestly about their jobs and how they feel about their command.
PBS site.
http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Thank you AegisFC. I'll keep an "look out" for this should it show on cable. Last week I had the pleasure to take an extensive tour of USS GEORGE WASHINGTON (CVN-73) during her port visit in Rio de Janeiro. She's on her way to Japan where she relieves the USS Kitty Hawk. I was quite impressed how each an every sailor described their jobs and equipment in proud detail. Most of these young men and women were in their early twenties each with awesome responsibilities. She had embarked a 2/3 airwing and the last deployment for the venerable S-3. The Rhinos I saw aboard were some truly magnificent warplanes. A memorable visit indeed.

Last edited: