US Senate has Cleared HR 5682 (Ind-US Nuclear Del)

kams

US Senate has Cleared S 3709 (Ind-US Nuclear Del)

Senate passes Ind-US Nuclear Bill (S 3709) with overwhelming majority (85-12). 5 Killer amendments were defeated. This is breaking News:D :D :D :D

Last edited:

Big-E

Banned Member
I don't think the proliferation of nuclear weapons is a good idea even though India has been pretty responsible up to this point.

kams

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think the proliferation of nuclear weapons is a good idea even though India has been pretty responsible up to this point.
Me neither, but its a tough neighbourhood we live in;) . For me this bill is symbolic, signaling a new India-US relationship.
Wish you guys had taken our Late Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi bit more seriously, things would be bit different now.

I am bit confused on the bill no. though..it appears that I had it right first time.

aaaditya

Me neither, but its a tough neighbourhood we live in;) . For me this bill is symbolic, signaling a new India-US relationship.
Wish you guys had taken our Late Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi bit more seriously, things would be bit different now.

I am bit confused on the bill no. though..it appears that I had it right first time.
for me the more important aspect of the indo-us relationship in the nuclear technology field is the us support with wich india was permitted to join the iter project.

powerslavenegi

Guys I thought political discussions were a strict no no on DT.:rolleyes:

don't think the proliferation of nuclear weapons is a good idea even though India has been pretty responsible up to this point.
Well the deal has nothing to do with Nuke weapons, US would be providing technical assistance onlee in the civilian Nuclear programme provided India opens its civilian N facilities for IAEA inspections.

Now if something transpires behind all this I am unaware of it.:D

aaaditya

Guys I thought political discussions were a strict no no on DT.:rolleyes:

Well the deal has nothing to do with Nuke weapons, US would be providing technical assistance onlee in the civilian Nuclear programme provided India opens its civilian N facilities for IAEA inspections.

Now if something transpires behind all this I am unaware of it.:D
as a part of this bill,the nuclear deal automatically stands cancelled ,if any us nuclear technology is transferred to an non safeguarded facility (not under the international atomic energy agency safeguards)or towards development of weapons of mass destruction.

vedang

Better than the deal for me will be that the rfps of the 126 mrca will be released soon...think it was being with-held bcoz of the americans using their famous "back-hand" a.k.a. blackmail:D techniques 2 buy their stuff....

manofpeace

Better than the deal for me will be that the rfps of the 126 mrca will be released soon...think it was being with-held bcoz of the americans using their famous "back-hand" a.k.a. blackmail:D techniques 2 buy their stuff....
i agree americans have been doing a lot of marketing for their stuff and it will sting them pretty hard if the deal goes to some other contender most likely to french. any way both deals are diffrent US has a lot to earn from this deal as well lot of US companies would be contending for reactor contracts. so it's money money in both case.

kams

for me the more important aspect of the indo-us relationship in the nuclear technology field is the us support with wich india was permitted to join the iter project.
Aaditya, your wish has come true:) .

Eyeing power of the sun, India inks historic pact

India and six other members of a global consortium signed a historic agreement in Paris on Tuesday seeking to establish an experimental fusion reactor that will emulate the power of the sun.

India, China, Japan, South Korea, Russia, the US and the European Union signed the agreement of the International Fusion Energy Organisation to build the $12.8 billion- reactor after a decade of negotiations, officials of the Department of Atomic Energy said.

manofpeace

cheers to every indian we have attained what was unthinkable a decade ago. this proves that how people and their thinking can be changed.

aaaditya

one more advantage of us acceptance is that ,now even china has acccepted for joint development of nuclear technology with india,china is already the largest exporter of nuclear fuel to india and the largest importer of heavy water from india.

the market for nuclear reactors in india is placed at around 30-50 billion dollars.

Big-E

Banned Member
the market for nuclear reactors in india is placed at around 30-50 billion dollars.
I wish the Greens here wouldn't be so freaked out by nuclear power, it's not like we will have another 7 mile with todays reactor technology. I hate it when I have to say the French have us beat. :rolleyes:

aaaditya

I wish the Greens here wouldn't be so freaked out by nuclear power, it's not like we will have another 7 mile with todays reactor technology. I hate it when I have to say the French have us beat. :rolleyes:
the us companies ,especially general electric in partnership with india's larsen and toubro expects to gain atleast 50-60% of the indian nuclear energy market ,with the rest going to russia and france.

kams

Nuclear Bill reconciled

The House and Senate versions of the Bill were reconciled late on Tuesday night at Capitol Hill, clearing what is being seen as the last hurdle for the deal to come into effect.

Sources say most of India's concerns have been addressed in the final version and once the Bill is passed by the Congress, it will allow India and United States to begin trading nuclear technology, despite the fact that India is not a signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

President Bush is expected to sign the Bill into a law as early as Saturday.

While the final version of the Bill is still to be officially announced, sources have also told CNN-IBN that the language of the Bill has been watered down significantly and amendments have been refined to suit India’s demands.
CNN IBN

xploe

India have the second biggest Communist Party in world after Russia and more then ten armed seperists movements. The CPI is a part of collation government in India, Maoists are gaining incresing support and aiming to a revolt.

What would happen if Nuclear stuff goes in to hands of any such group? Is it a reasonable price to pay for counter China strategy?

Big-E

Banned Member
India have the second biggest Communist Party in world after Russia and more then ten armed seperists movements. The CPI is a part of collation government in India, Maoists are gaining incresing support and aiming to a revolt.

What would happen if Nuclear stuff goes in to hands of any such group? Is it a reasonable price to pay for counter China strategy?
Pak Def is over there...

powerslavenegi

Reality check

He he... heard of democracy friend ??? did you know that right now Govt of India is constituted by more than 14 political parties and you are wrong when you say CPI is a part of govt of India (those chaps hold power in only 1 of the 27 states and oh yes are a part of a coaliton of 9 parties in another),they are just providing support from outside (none of their party members constitute the council of ministers).Ironicaly you would be surprised to know that it is the communists (CPI and CPIM ) who are hell bent for scraping the Indo-US deal here from Times of India

Maoists gaining support !! Well ever tried to figure out from where ?

Indo-US nuclear deal does not mean US assistance to Indias weaponisation programme ,infact India has already conducted tests in 1974 and 1998 so I dont see how does this deal make a difference to the status quo.

The deal is all about India's growing power needs that would be met by setting up a series of nuclear power plants that constitute a over 100Billion$ project and with French and Russians showing interest I guess likes of Westinghouse and Ameren UE would like to join the party.This deal in fact would entitle US comapnies to have the biggest share of the pie and at the same time would bring the Indian civilain N programme under the IAEA's inspection.

From where did Counter China startegy came in ? Let us not talk about the US roel and decisions pertaining to Indian subcontinent for I guess US themsleves have a lot of explaining to do.