Ukranian Missiles 'Missing'

Winter

Ukrainian missiles 'gone missing'

Ukrainian Defence Minister Yevhen Marchuk has said that several hundred of his country's missiles are unaccounted for.

The weapons were supposed to have been decommissioned in the years that followed the break-up of the USSR.

But it is now being claimed that there is no record of them being destroyed.

This is being blamed on accounting problems during the period of transition that followed the country's independence in 1991.

"Unfortunately strange things happen," Mr Marchuk said in an interview for the Ukrainian newspaper Den.

"We are currently looking for several hundred missiles. They were decommissioned, but we can't find them.

"Each of the missiles contained gold, silver, platinum. But where are the results of their recycling?" he asked.

The revelations follow a recent audit carried out by the Defence Ministry during which it is claimed officials were unable to discover any evidence that these weapons were destroyed.

Mr Marchuk believes that accounting problems are to blame because a proper accounting system was not used by his department until summer 2003, around the time that he was appointed.

When Ukraine became independent in the early 1990s it inherited a huge arsenal of weapons which had been kept on its territory by the USSR.

The BBC's Helen Fawkes in Kiev says Ukraine, like many former Soviet republics, is still having to deal with the legacy of the Cold War.

Source: BBCNews

'Unfortunately strange things happen.' :roll So true...But in this sense?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Winter said:
Ukrainian missiles 'gone missing'

Ukrainian Defence Minister Yevhen Marchuk has said that several hundred of his country's missiles are unaccounted for.

The weapons were supposed to have been decommissioned in the years that followed the break-up of the USSR.

But it is now being claimed that there is no record of them being destroyed.

This is being blamed on accounting problems during the period of transition that followed the country's independence in 1991.

"Unfortunately strange things happen," Mr Marchuk said in an interview for the Ukrainian newspaper Den.

"We are currently looking for several hundred missiles. They were decommissioned, but we can't find them.

"Each of the missiles contained gold, silver, platinum. But where are the results of their recycling?" he asked.

The revelations follow a recent audit carried out by the Defence Ministry during which it is claimed officials were unable to discover any evidence that these weapons were destroyed.

Mr Marchuk believes that accounting problems are to blame because a proper accounting system was not used by his department until summer 2003, around the time that he was appointed.

When Ukraine became independent in the early 1990s it inherited a huge arsenal of weapons which had been kept on its territory by the USSR.

The BBC's Helen Fawkes in Kiev says Ukraine, like many former Soviet republics, is still having to deal with the legacy of the Cold War.

Source: BBCNews

'Unfortunately strange things happen.' :roll So true...But in this sense?
Cripes, in the Australian army you have to account for everything you take out, if you fire off a bullet you have to bring the casing back. How in blazes can you lose hundreds of missiles? The US has long held the view that the Ukraine sans Russia was missing some of their portable nukes. It would be interesting to know whethere these are less than ordinary assets that have gone missing.

Winter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf0012 said:
How in blazes can you lose hundreds of missiles?
With difficulty?!

A 'difficult transition' ten years ago better not come back to haunt us because 'stange things happen'...That's all I can say.

mysterious

I seriously have my fingers crossed over the mystery as to where those 'hundreds' of missles went and even if they were properly decomissioned or somebody took them in workable form! :eek

Majin-Vegeta

Banned Member
ahaha!! imagine thier in the hands of Osama Bin Laden ;), "i vill Kill u American and Jews, hand over the Chickens and Goats or everybody dies!!" :)

Winter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Majin-Vegeta said:
ahaha!! imagine thier in the hands of Osama Bin Laden ;), "i vill Kill u American and Jews, hand over the Chickens and Goats or everybody dies!!" :)
Yes, OBL does have some issues...I'd like to see what a report on his mental health (or others like him) would be like. It would be a mixture of rage, oppression, God knows what and being dropped on the head as a child...repeatedly. I imagine the flow-on effects of a frustrated little OBL not being able to ride his little bike without little stabilisers have possibly led to something quite devastating... :roll