Agni-III ballistic missile test soon

sikder

Banned Member
The most powerful ballistic long range missile developed by India, Agni-III (Fire), will be ready for its first test soon, a top defence scientist said Thursday.

V.K. Atre, chief of Defence Research and Development Organistan (DRDO) and advisor to the Defence Minister, said the date of launch would be decided soon.

"It's in the final phase of integration. Various sub-systems of Agni III are ready, when we put together, then we will launch it. It's much more than just technology. As I said about the date it would not be proper for me to indicate the time when it's going to be launched," Atre told reporters here.

Agni-III, an intermediate range ballistic missile, has a range of 3000 kilometers. This would allow it to strike targets deep within China. The first test-flight of Agni-III, a variant of the Agni-II, with a range of 700 km was succesfully conducted on January 25, 2002.

The Agni ballistic missile programme began in the 1980s and the first successful firing of an Agni I, with a two-stage, solid-liquid propulsion system, was in 1989.

For more.

http://www.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=45917&cat=India

http://www.sunnetwork.org/news/science/science.asp?id=5554

http://www.keralanext.com/news/index.asp?id=45001

P.A.F

i don't think now is a good time to test the missile because pakistan and india are in the middle of talks :(

shankercbe

i agree with you P.A.f .. but you should notice that india doesnt need agni iii to target pakistan .. infact the report says "This would allow it to strike targets deep within China " . i dont think pak officials would treat this news as a threat to them

P.A.F

yes but even china is progressing with india. i've also noticed that of late asia nations have been getting friendly with each other.(we atleast showing signs of friendship) :)

P.A.F

well just shows that your the type of person who doesn't want peace and stability in the region :(

XEROX

India has had the Agni - 3 ready for some time now, they just haven’t tested it due to the thawing of relations with Pakistan, said that they will test it as and when Pakistan test their “big†missile as said by their president

shankercbe

shankercbe said:
i agree with you P.A.f .. but you should notice that india doesnt need agni iii to target pakistan .. infact the report says "This would allow it to strike targets deep within China " . i dont think pak officials would treat this news as a threat to them
you know sometimes i think nothing is more powerful than money .. all of a sudden all the three of them (indian,china and pakistan) looked around and realised they are lagging behind in economy when compared to even south east asian nations and probably decided to put all issues behind and start earning some money.

P.A.F

PJ-10 well pakistan tested it's big missile when talks didn't even start between pak & ind. if india had the agni ready for some time then why didn't they test it before the PEACE talks? the testing of this missile just puts a fulse image on the ongoing peace talks in my point of view.

and yes shankercbe pakistans missile can reach isreal but with a reduced payload. :smokingc:

shankercbe

sorry quoted wrong msg!

P.A.F said:
yes but even china is progressing with india. i've also noticed that of late asia nations have been getting friendly with each other.(we atleast showing signs of friendship) :)
you know sometimes i think nothing is more powerful than money .. all of a sudden all the three of them (indian,china and pakistan) looked around and realised they are lagging behind in economy when compared to even south east asian nations and probably decided to put all issues behind and start earning some money.
;)

XEROX

"The test firing of Agni-III is overdue and we feel the need for that long-range missile as part of our policy of deterrence," - George Fernandes

Asked when Agni-III would be test fired, the Minister said, "the date has not been firmed up. Effort is to see that it is test fired this year". - said in 2003 - http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/2003/04/07/stories/2003040705020100.htm

Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee had said on Saturday in New Delhi that the Agni-III missile would be tested "as and when required." - http://www.newindpress.com/Newsitems.asp?ID=IEQ20040623090322&Title=ORISSA&Topic=0&

P.A.F

this might be a situation where both countries are waiting for eachother to fire first :D: thats my theory ;)

shankercbe

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
And the pakistani missile im talking about - Expect 'big' missile test soon: Musharraf

Dated July 01, 2004,

Pakistan President General Pervez Musharraf on Wednesday told mediapersons in Islamabad to expect a 'big' missile test in the next two months

tell me something where would the pakistanis test this big missile .. i mean how would they determine its range and eveything since they would need a large area to do this.. or would they just fire it off into the arabian sea ..i doubt it ,what with all the traffic in the sea.