300 AIM-9M Tactical Missiles for Pakistan

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
300 AIM-9M Tactical Missiles for Pakistan
US DoD
Fri, 21 Oct 2005, 08:51

In a Pentagon contract announcement Raytheon Systems d/b/a Raytheon Systems Co., Tucson, Ariz., is being awarded a $29,443,350 ceiling-priced modification to a previously awarded firm-fixed-price contract (N00019-03-C-0003) for 300 AIM-9M tactical missiles and 10 captive air-training missiles for the Government of Pakistan under the Foreign Military Sales Program.

Work will be performed in Tucson, Ariz. (93 percent) and Andover, Mass., (7 percent), and is expected to be completed in August 2007. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year.

The Naval Air Systems Command, Patuxent River, Md., is the contracting activity.

Source: DT News
Link: http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_003836.php

AIM-9M has all the capabilities AIM-9L (Which PAF currently has) offers but provides all round better/high performance. In addition it has improved defense against infrared countermeasures, enhanced background discrimination capability, and a reduced-smoke rocket motor. These modifications increase its ability to locate and lock on a target and decrease the missile's chances for detection.​

P.A.F

Just a little info:
http://www.raytheon.com/products/aim_9m/

The AIM-9M is a long term performer in the Sidewinder family of missiles. Its guidance control section has been manufactured by Raytheon since 1964 and its effectiveness and all-aspect capabilities have been proven in a wide range of global combat theaters.
The AIM-9M is configured for easy installation on a large number of tactical aircraft, including the F-4, F-5, F-14, F-15, F-16, and F/A-18 fighters; the A-4, A-6, A-7, AV-8B Harrier and A-10 attack aircraft; and the AH-1 helicopter. It has also been integrated on the JAS-39 Gripen, JA-37 Viggen, Sea Harrier, Tornado, and Jaguar.
The AIM-9M is a cost-effective, infrared-tracking, short-range, air-to-air missile adaptable to multiple applications. Its reliability has been thoroughly demonstrated time and again, consistently achieving 400% over contractual MTBF requirements.
Its combat-proven effectiveness and all-aspect capabilities have been demonstrated in action around the world. Among the key benefits it delivers are efficient identification of targets against background clutter; successful tracking capability against low signal level targets; and a reduced-smoke rocket motor enhanced performance.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
Any news about the BVR missiles from any source whether the US,French or Chineese Pakistani ACs really lack BVR missiles.There is a swere need for the installation of BVR capable missiles

Elite-Pilot

Banned Member
Any news about the BVR missiles from any source whether the US,French or Chineese Pakistani ACs really lack BVR missiles.There is a swere need for the installation of BVR capable missiles
AIM-120
well, this has not been confirmed but I believe Pakistan is to aquire new AIM-120 missiles which will be loaded on the F-16's(the new ones). These missiles are very similar and comparable to the existing R-77 of the Russian Air Force.
SD-10
I also think that the SD-10 was to be similar to its friends the R-77,AIM-120. But the missile is still under development stage, so we cannot judge it just yet.
C-802
Pakistan already uses these babies on the Jalalat class. And it will come with the new aquisting of the F-22p frigate.its range measures 40-120
Harpoon blk II
This missile is capable of peeling of a ships skin and destroy the scrap. P3c Orions can carry these missiles;they are very powerful and the outcomes become deadly. We are to get/or have 40-50 of these beasts.

These are some of the missiles that Pakistan is looking forward to. [admin edited]

Last edited by a moderator:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
What is this topic about? This is not a PAF discussion and better not turn into one. Read the topic/subject and reply appropriately. No BS. Unless you have some solid source to prove your claim, what "you" heard is just speculation and doesn't really matter.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Hussain, one liners are not allowed. However, if you are going to reply with measly one line at least give some attention to it and write it correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

EnigmaNZ

300 AIM-9M "Tactical" Missiles for Pakistan. Had a laugh when I saw that, lol. Trying to fiquire out when a air to air missile became a tactical one. Though it was some new surface to surface missile, with a sidewinder model name. It was like "eek" whats the US selling 300 tactical missiles into the area. Anyway sorted.

PAF923

Banned Member
It has been said that Aim-9M is the downgraded version of Aim-9L. Wondering if Pakistan would be able to get Aim-120 series. :(

A

Aussie Digger

PAF923 said:
It has been said that Aim-9M is the downgraded version of Aim-9L. Wondering if Pakistan would be able to get Aim-120 series. :(
Read the first post, AIM-9M is an improved model over the AIM-9L, with better targetting ability etc. I still wonder why the PAF is opting for this missile though. It is an older missile (still effective) but has been superseded by more modern missiles such as ASRAAM, AIM-9X, Python 4/5, IRIS-T etc.

Perhaps the PAF have been "told" not to bother trying to acquire such advanced missiles. If so, you can pretty much rule out AIM-120 AMRAAM's...

Dr Phobus

Aussie Digger said:
Read the first post, AIM-9M is an improved model over the AIM-9L, with better targetting ability etc. I still wonder why the PAF is opting for this missile though. It is an older missile (still effective) but has been superseded by more modern missiles such as ASRAAM, AIM-9X, Python 4/5, IRIS-T etc.

Perhaps the PAF have been "told" not to bother trying to acquire such advanced missiles. If so, you can pretty much rule out AIM-120 AMRAAM's...
If that is the case why bother aquiring block 50 F-16's, I understand PAF are after more advanced variants, without a true BVR fire and forget sytem. Saying that one can not fault the logic of the statment, maybe the american's were "selling" off aload of unwanted AAM's? The indian's have ADDER/ARCHER ( and so AMRAAM would only be making parity in the region) but i imainge the american's are trusting the indians more than the pakistani's.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Aussie Digger said:

Wouldnt the AIM-9X ASRAAM, Python etc require the platform's upgrading ?? If yes, than the answer is that right now PAF F-16s cant fire them except for the two 2nd hand MLUed F-16 recieved a week ago. Since they have BVR capability, I presume that PAF will go for AIM-120.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
SABRE said:
Wouldnt the AIM-9X ASRAAM, Python etc require the platform's upgrading ?? If yes, than the answer is that right now PAF F-16s cant fire them except for the two 2nd hand MLUed F-16 recieved a week ago. Since they have BVR capability, I presume that PAF will go for AIM-120.
But SABRE PAF have a variety of short range missiles then why Pakistan gose for those short range missiles again i cant understand the reason simply upgrade the AC's and then aquire the BVR missiles then there will be a significent milestone in the PAF's capebilities.
The missiles which are present in the PAF's inventory are as follows
Air to Air Missiles

SD-10 (Still under development)
AIM-9P
AIM-9L
PL-9 Air Dragon
PL-7
PL-5
R-550

Air to surface Weapons
BL-755
EXOCET
GBU-10
GBU-12
AGM-65B MAVERICK
MK-82 Snake Eye
Durandal
MK-20 Rock Eye
Nepalm

So this is all which PAF has in its inventory except few which are Chineese missile have greater range and all others are short ranged.

A

Aussie Digger

SABRE said:
Any new weapon, even AIM-9M will require integration into the platform that is intended to operate it. Newer missile systems can still be operated in the "legacy" mode that earlier generation missiles are operated in. They can also be operated with HMS systems, when such systems are finally in use by the PAF. Older missiles can't be. Hence why I wonder that they've chosen such an old design.

The RAAF acquired the AIM-9M to arm it's F/A-18A/B's in the mid 80's...

Newer missiles such as ASRAAM also offer range, peformance and lethality improvements over earlier generation missiles.

Just my thoughts.

adsH

Aussie this is most likely a stop Gap Measure, to improve the curent capability at the minimum Cost. I suspect the sticky issues with the F-16s were related to the Aim-9X. They're interested in HMS System's which means they're looking for a comprehensive package. I really don't see the US Clearing the 9x this easily (eventually they'l have to since PAF won't take the F-16s without the whole package). As far as AIM-120 goes, yes i think that could be packaged.

Dr Phobus

adsH said:
Aussie this is most likely a stop Gap Measure, to improve the curent capability at the minimum Cost. I suspect the sticky issues with the F-16s were related to the Aim-9X. They're interested in HMS System's which means they're looking for a comprehensive package. I really don't see the US Clearing the 9x this easily (eventually they'l have to since PAF won't take the F-16s without the whole package). As far as AIM-120 goes, yes i think that could be packaged.
I concur, the PAF will not buy such advanced planes without comparble AAM's, after all whats the point ? flkying an f-16 block 50, and firing 9M's and Sparrow's..It's the state on things really, the american;s will in time have to sell ARAAM/9x in time. :cool:

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
Dr Phobus said:
I concur, the PAF will not buy such advanced planes without comparble AAM's, after all whats the point ? flkying an f-16 block 50, and firing 9M's and Sparrow's..It's the state on things really, the american;s will in time have to sell ARAAM/9x in time. :cool:
Mattey this is the case with all countries that when they are buying high tech planes they also want comparable weaponary,it these F-16s does not come with the AIM-120 then PAF dont need these kind of planes having Sparrows and sidewinders,PAF is already operating such kind of planes.PAF must be thinking first let F-16 come then they will get the AIM-120s through proper channel