Submariners DVD

pepsi

This DVD is really interesting, the RAN allowed a cameraman and director aboard HMAS Rankin, for its six month deployment from Australia to participate in RIMPAC up near Hawaii

I just watched it recently, i bought the DVD, its really interesting, it basically follows all the exercises that take place (a few training ones before deployment, a rescue exercise in South Korea, Exercise Silent Fury and RIMPAC) while also following a few members of the crew.

If you haven't seen it, i recommend it, its at pretty much every major book store (e.g. Dymocks) in Sydney (not sure about other states/countries)

One of the funnier parts was just before Exercise Silent Fury, the Captain instructed them to be a bit noisier than usual to get the US sub that was following them to get used to a high noise level, the chef was banging around in the kitchen and having a great time. Then they went silent when the exercise started. I thought that kind of stuff only went on in the movies lol. Also after an evacuation exercise, while they were all out on the deck, they had a bbq and the captain was hitting golf balls into the ocean.

The camera was allowed in every part of the sub except behind the black curtain where the Comms room was located, but they spent most of the time in the bridge and engine area, with a few segments in the accomdation part where they could play tiger woods golf on the playstation :D. I don't recall them ever going up to the weapons room or anywhere like that

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
pepsi said:
If you haven't seen it, i recommend it, its at pretty much every major book store (e.g. Dymocks) in Sydney (not sure about other states/countries)
The book is quite good, its more or less a coffee table job, but worth having in your collection to compliment the DVD.

KGB

Since we're on the topic of submarine videos, what do you think of the assertions made on other (tv) documentaries such as:

The Ohio class CANNOT BE TRACKED

I know that these things are to be taken with a grain of salt but you see, how big a grain of salt?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
KGB said:
Since we're on the topic of submarine videos, what do you think of the assertions made on other (tv) documentaries such as:

The Ohio class CANNOT BE TRACKED

I know that these things are to be taken with a grain of salt but you see, how big a grain of salt?
I think any statement that says such things is rubbish. At a given point in time any sub can be tracked. the issue is what conditions we're talking about.

I'd question the age of the doco for a start. However, one could also say which navies have the capability to track an Ohio (under bluewater conditions) - and I'd say UK, France, Russia only. and then only if they've got the assets in place at the right time and right general location. (ie is a platform to platform assessment or a ASW team to platform assessment)

tracking a nuke requires competency and relative similar levels of performance at the hardware level. that immediately counts out 90% of the current russian nuke fleet and at this stage I would say their ASW as they haven't maintained the development curve.

You could count out all of the PLAN subs as they don't have any which have persistence or the requisite noise and vibration management levels.

its very much an issue of who, where and when as well as platform competency.

(and I'm assuming blue water hunting where nukes have an advantage)

pepsi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf00012-aust, i was wondering if you could shed some light on what the thing at the front of the sub is, that kind of cylinder shaped thing sticking up, it looks a bit like a light or something

Everything i have read didn't mention it, and the DVD didn't really go into detail on the hardware anyway, its been driving me crazy

KAPITAIN

If your talking about the collins class submarine that thing sticking up is it part of the sonar, sorry if ive wanderd off topic here but id like to know because we have a similar thing on our traffies.

Rich

As far as I know there has never been a persistant, successful track of an American Ohio by anybody. The closest has been one of our LAs which tracked one for a short time. If anyone has more information on this I'd like to know.

KAPITAIN

Ohio is now a realtivly old submarine there are subs out there alot quieter and we can track them, so tracking an ohio shouldnt be to difficault.

During the 1980's the russian November class submarine (a 30 year old boat) tracked trailed and stayed with an american boomer for three days, i would say an akula could possibly track an ohio but thats just my opinion.

Rich

A lot quieter at what? 5 knots? Please post any link to that successful trail by the November class. Still, the Soviets had some very good skippers and crews despite having inferior boats.

KAPITAIN

I think you will find the book blind man's bluff can back this statement up, its well heard in the submarine world for the USN it took another SSN to drag the trailing November off the boomer and then eventualy lost it.

A SSBN is not designed for speed they will quite happily sit around at 4 or 5 knots doing squat its the SSN's that are designed for speed as thier role is to attack, hence why they are called attack boats hunter killers ect ect.

KGB

KAPITAIN said:
Ohio is now a realtivly old submarine there are subs out there alot quieter and we can track them, so tracking an ohio shouldnt be to difficault.

During the 1980's the russian November class submarine (a 30 year old boat) tracked trailed and stayed with an american boomer for three days, i would say an akula could possibly track an ohio but thats just my opinion.
It was mentioned (in passing) in Gary Weir's Rising Tide. The original source was somewhere in the footnotes. I remember loking it up but it wasn't spectacularly undeniable (but nothing really is regarding this subject matter)

Also the first post in the "How good is the US Navy thread" also mentions some similar situation, again unverified.