Russian Destroyer Admiral Chabanenko in Norfolk Virginia

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I was just in Norfolk visiting my brother and he told me about a very interesting looking ship that was visiting for excercises with the French, British and the US so I went down and took some pictures of the Admiral Chabanenko.
Here is why it was in Norfolk.
http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=127143&ran=115714

Off the coast of Virginia

The conversation on the bridge of the American destroyer Laboon on Thursday rang with French, Russian and English with a British snap.

The day's lesson - communication.

Four warships and several hundred sailors from France, Russia and Great Britain joined U.S. forces this week for a series of exercises off the Virginia and North Carolina coasts aimed at forging better relationships and operations among navies.

Royal Navy Rear Adm. Alan Massey said the five-day exercise - focused on basic maritime skills and communications - will help provide security and safety in several real-world settings.

"We're far better doing this as a team," he said.

The annual event, which began Monday with a ceremony at Norfolk Naval Station, is being held for the first time in the States. The training is held at sea and aboard four ships: the French frigate La Fayette, the Russian destroyer Admiral Chabanenko, Royal Navy frigate Portland, and the Laboon.

The exercises mimic actual situations - maritime interdictions, pirate attacks, and peace support missions - faced by naval forces around the globe. Officials also said the exercise furthers the goal of Adm. Mike Mullen, U.S. chief of naval operations, to create greater cooperation among foreign countries to create a virtual 1,000-ship navy.

The navies often operate together in task forces, particularly in the Indian Ocean, Persian Gulf and Mediterranean Sea.

Capt. John Gelinne, destroyer squadron commander, said the exercise has allowed the navies to understand each other's capabilities and limits. It's been a valuable training regimen for the sailors, he said.

"We use these operations to hone our skills," he said.

It also served as a cultural exchange, as a few sailors have been stationed aboard foreign ships.

Lt. j.g. Alexander Busch, a graduate of the French Naval Academy, is on a two-month deployment to the States aboard the La Fayette. He said the ships share many traits, although he had to adjust to one custom - Navy chow comes an hour earlier than the French noon serving, he said.

But he had no complaints about the chow. On the U.S. ship, "I was lucky to get burgers," he said.

Russian Capt. 1st Rank Alexey Strelnikov, a veteran of both the Soviet and Russian navies, said he always dreamed of boarding an American ship. This week, he spent three nights on the Laboon.

With an interpreter by his side, Strelnikov has witnessed his former American adversaries working in tandem with his Russian destroyer.

"I met real professionals," he said, "real sailors and real people in love with their ship."
Here are the pics I took.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I just love the dark gray that the Russian's use, it is so much more ominous than the haze gray the USN uses.

PullerRommel

Great pics The color is awesome looking

I think there little patrol boat on the side looks funny it doesnt look very military

Ozzy Blizzard

The old girl looks good with a new coat of paint. You have to love the look of the russian cruisers, with those huge SSM's tubes. i wonder if they are still equiped with nukes?????

Whats across the birth from her, is it a Tico or a Burke?????

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The old girl looks good with a new coat of paint. You have to love the look of the russian cruisers, with those huge SSM's tubes. i wonder if they are still equiped with nukes?????

Whats across the birth from her, is it a Tico or a Burke?????
It is USS Laboon, a Burke.

meh

That is one hell of a ship and the twin barrel cannons on that thing look really sweet great pictures.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The exterior does look good but I did not get a chance to go inside, my brother did though and he told me that the interior is a different story. He said it was dirty and the mess decks had a bad bug problem and that the crew living standards are WAY behind a western ship.