The small (funny) things

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
What I want to know is about thoose little things like;

What's the most "multirole" in your armed force?

What's kind of names do you give the MBTs?

Wierd names on comon stuff. Both official and unofficial.

Does your assault rifle have a name?

and so on... :D

The most multirole in the Swedish Armed Forces is (most likely) the Hudsalva (skinbalm) it can be used as skinbalm, lipbalm, shoe polish, food, cooking fat, grease, deodorant, wound cleaner, spice, ski wax, shoe wax and lubricant.

Names I've seen (so far) on Strv 122s (Leopard 2 S) is Lucifer, Delail, Abraham and Beelzebub.

Short, Light, Attack Showel (standard showel of course), attack bicycle, coma coat and trousers(winter clothes), Puppy (Bv206S), the white flash (skies), red plugs (blanks), filthcan (one man kitchen), iron stove (Ak4/H&k G3).

My ak5 don't really have a name but I refer to it as "it".

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
The most multirole in the Swedish Armed Forces is (most likely) the Hudsalva (skinbalm) it can be used as skinbalm, lipbalm, shoe polish, food, cooking fat, grease, deodorant, wound cleaner, spice, ski wax, shoe wax and lubricant.
I want some! Is it available in the civilian market and if so what is it's commercial name? :D

In my old Oz army reserve unit (way back when it was called the CMF (Citizen Military Forces) our RSM often referred to the 'Mark 1'. For example:

Mark 1 bucket or hole (for a toilet)
Mark 1 eyeball - in the absence of a decent gunsight, binoculars, etc

Cheers

Gollevainen

the corporal
Verified Defense Pro
Well I think all armies have those, expecially conscript armies.
In here, our armys offical naming of all equipment bases on the abbreviations, so in the comon soldiers language they get their own meanings.

But offcourse the things have their utterly non-militaristic names.

the warm midwear is called 'teddybear suit'
pyjama is called 'wank-suit'
sport suit is called smurf-suit (from the cartoon smurfs)
the plastic beach showels were called 'piss-skates'
the protective gear is called 'nasse' wich is like a cuddlename for pigs.
normal skis are called sweat-planks.

If you can add word combat or gurellia in front of it, it usually gets called by that

combat tomatoes (the artillery branch insigia)
combat chair (the little chair in front of every bunk)

Our most multipurpose thing was propaply ligth-petrol, or Magic Jim, or good wind that could be used to ignite various other things and cleaning up...and if the forrest life beguns to bug you, drinking it will ensure a nice trip to the field hospital

A

Aussie Digger

I want some! Is it available in the civilian market and if so what is it's commercial name? :D

In my old Oz army reserve unit (way back when it was called the CMF (Citizen Military Forces) our RSM often referred to the 'Mark 1'. For example:

Mark 1 bucket or hole (for a toilet)
Mark 1 eyeball - in the absence of a decent gunsight, binoculars, etc

Cheers
Whart about the FRED or "f'ing" ridiculous eating device"?

For those who were never blessed with FRED's (including those who've just joined ADF) The FRED was a copper spoon, that doubled as a bottle and can opener. Unfortunately I'm led to believe it has been discontinued...

Easily the MOST useful item in Army and the only piece of cutlery you needed when "bush"...

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Funny phrases, unknown and known:
(many of them are basic rules)

"There are no bad weather in the Army clothes!"

"It's cold not cold, cold is lying on a steelbunk in Antartica."

"Things that's not in your hand, not in your closed pocket or not in your locked locker will disappear."

"Do you freeze or are you filled with happiness?"

"Change socks, drink water and take a painkiller" (fixes everything)

"A seaman don't feel cold weather. He feels smaller changes in temperature."

"I am a engineer so I change the nature just way I want."

"A seaman never freezes. He gets blue. Then he dies."

"There are only two things bigger and more dangerous than me: MBTs and elks."

"This is a pencil. If it comes flying you are sleeping."

"I need three volounteers (pointing); You! You! You!"

"Stop laughing! This is the air force and it's not funny!"

"Don't lick dead birds."

"Sit! Take of your clothes."

"A swedish soldier never freeze! He just trembles of happiness."

"There's always room for a little more."

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

"Pain is a sign of weakness leaving the body."

"2nd platoon! Skip! Now you've skipped lunch."

Word definitions:

Squirrel - Leathal animal that lives in the swedish forrests. Leathality level life threatening since it is an expert to get stuck everywere and for example be the cause of a "pipe blow".

Field coma - Total loss of initiativeability.

HSS - Hear nothing, See nothing, Say nothing.

Ranger-TV - Bonfire

Coma - Zombie like stage where the soldier seems to go on "autopilot".

King coma - The guy that hits all soldiers with a stick when they are close a field coma or coma.

Splash infantry - Amphibious assault infantry.

Slope bear - An animal nobody has seen but it moves around skiing soldiers and makes them trip.

Bonfire coma - Soldier that watch ranger-tv, in other words sleeping with open eyes.

Last edited:

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
a little bit of Aussie army slang.
Goffa = soft drink,coke pepsi etc

jack rations = food items that you buy yourself to supplement normal rations

jack c--t! = a lazy or selfish soldier usually identified by his black eyes.

chocko = reservist

pogo = non combatant (posted on garrison operations)

gat = personal weapon

charly guts ache = 84mm Carl Gustaf (enrolled to vote, but fined for not doing so!)

Howard Green = sweater (see Carl Gustaf!...another fine!)

Buiscuts bullet proof = cerial buiscuts in old ration packs

Snake = SGT

Lance jack = Lcpl

seco = section commander Cpl

3RAR handshake = punch in the mouth

fudge factor = eg,pl comd to pl Sgt "have the men on parade at 0600 Sgt"
Sgt to section comd "have your boys on parade by 0500 cpl"
Cpl to section "right men,on parade at 0400 hrs!"

Maskirovka

Banned Member
"2nd platoon! Skip! Now you've skipped lunch."
You should explain that skip and jump is the same word in swedish - "hoppa". So when the entire 2nd platoon is waiting outside the food-lounge in a queu and the CO yelles "Skip" , the entire platoon jumps and he says "Congrats, you just skipped lunch...."

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Whart about the FRED or "f'ing" ridiculous eating device"?

For those who were never blessed with FRED's (including those who've just joined ADF) The FRED was a copper spoon, that doubled as a bottle and can opener. Unfortunately I'm led to believe it has been discontinued...

Easily the MOST useful item in Army and the only piece of cutlery you needed when "bush"...

I spent 10 years "in" and I never once heard it refered to as that. It was simply the tin opener from the 1 man rat pack. I was in RAAOC and in foodstuffs, I handled tens of thousands of the things. Officially it was, "opener, can, small".

MBTs in the ADF are usually called "Koalas" - a protected species that can neither be exported or shot at. ;)

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

The F.R.E.D was an A-Res term that crept into reg lingo. I like it,describes it perfectly! On K92, 24hr rat packs were upgraded with a napalm like desert called O-Pine Gel. You should try eating that stuff with a fred! Really funny!Came in an uncrushable can....

Once on a work party,i spent several hours looking for these disposable ash trays on some paper work...reason was the description. Reciever, ash,foil.
I hated duty weeks. does that still happen when a battalion is in barracks? Guess they are not in barracks that often nowdays anyway.