SASR selection

Tango 4

I have posted a similar thread in the Land Forces sector, but I just need someone to help me out. I am wondering if anyone knows what the 18day SASR selection consists of. I am trying to compare with the british selection course.

Thanks.

A

Aussie Digger

Tango 4 said:
I have posted a similar thread in the Land Forces sector, but I just need someone to help me out. I am wondering if anyone knows what the 18day SASR selection consists of. I am trying to compare with the british selection course.

Thanks.
Are you referring to the SASR Cadre course or the SFET course you are undertaking prior to entry onto the SASR selection course itself? It used to be longer back in my day (28 days) and as far as I know, still is.

SASR Cadre course is conceptually similar to that of 22nd SAS and involved numerous long marches, constant PT, nav ex's, severe disruptions to routine (ie: given the opportunity to sleep after extended periods of sleep deprivation and then having "White Noise" played at extremely loud levels, whilst you are supposed to be sleeping) etc, constant mental and physical assesments, "problem solving" exercises and stands designed to "f*ck you around" just to see how well you handle things that crop up unexpectedly. The course ALWAYS results in severe fatigue and deterioration of health levels on the part of the applicant.

In Australia there's currently 2 ways to get to regular special forces. By enlisting and then applying to undertake SFET (special forces entry test) or the direct entry scheme (civilians applying directly to special forces and then undertaking extended courses to prepare them for direct service with a specwarops unit).

The application process is this:

1. CO/OC approval
2. Unit clerk to book SF med board
3. Psych test for service in Special Forces

and the basic entry requirements for SFET are:

60 Pushups
100 Situps
10 Heaves
2.4km Run (Patrol Order 7kg/ Runners) 11.30 min
Run-Jump-Dodge test (Patrol order) 50 sec
Swim 400m (DPCU & Runners) 18 min
Tread water 2 min
15km Endurance march (21kg Pack, 7kg Webbing, rifle) 2hrs 20 min

The SFET used to be a 72 hour course and the following is basically a good idea of what happens:

DAY 1 - Roll Call/Check Documentation (Psych/Medical etc)
1. B.F.A (2.4km run, BFA Sit Up test -100 pass with 5 pushups docked for every time poor form was shown, Push ups - 80 pass)

2. Heave Test (overgrasp/undergrasp/alternate -12 pass, with VERY strict form!!!)

3. Breakfast

4.Nav Test/Comms Test/Med. Test (Written)

5. Lunch

6. 3.2km Battle run 7kgs Webbing + rifle (16:30 &under for Commandos, under 16 mins for SASR)

7. NAV EXERCISE

8. 400mtr swim test in Clean Fatigues after 2 min tread water (total time 18 minutes)

9. Rope ascent/decent in patrol order +rifle. To be completed twice up and down 30ft rope without touching feet on ground on first decent.

10. Comms practical test

11. Assimilation of instruction test (foreign weapons)

12. Medical/First aid practical

13. Impromptu public speech on nominated topic/Essay writing/Group problem solving

14. Usual 0200hrs finishing time on second day after a 0730 start.

DAY 2

15. Reveille approx. 0400hrs (2 hours sleep)

16. 0415 embuss trucks to 28km endurance march start point.

17. 0430 Form up/stretches with PTI's.

18. Approx. 0445 commence 4hr/28km endurance march (minimum 24km)

19. Approx. 0930 all personnel picked up by trucks and taken to start points for Exercise 'Resolute Warrior'

20. Approx 1000hrs commence first of 3 x 3hr group stands (activities)

22. Approx 2100hrs activity ceased, return to transit lines to deservice and treat injuries etc...get some sleep, and have FIRST meal for the day.

DAY 3

23. Approx 0700 Reveille

24. BREAKFAST

25. 0800 Begin rolling course candidates through Board of Studies (BOS). For those who have not experienced this, it usually involved three officers, usually Captain/Majors or perhaps Lt. Col, as well as 2 or 3 SNCO's, WO2/WO1, who spent approx. 20-30 minutes grilling you on your personal evaluation on how you peformed on the course, what you felt were your strengths/weaknesses, how you rated other course candidates etc....And the obligatory question of 'and what makes you think you would be a good asset to the SF group' or similar wording.

This is the basic test to see if you have what it takes to become a specwarrie operator in Australia. At the end of your BOS you are usually absolutely stuffed.

If you're considered sufficiently capable of performing as a specwarrie from here you can move onto the Commando training Course or the SASR selection Course known as the "Cadre" course.

I'l post a bit more on that later, gotta run...

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Dont give too much away A.D. .... selection coures differ from course to course, be fit, mentally and physicly. Know your nav. Know your basic infantry skills. Stay focused. You can pass the course and still be rejected.

A

Aussie Digger

old faithful said:
Dont give too much away A.D. .... selection coures differ from course to course, be fit, mentally and physicly. Know your nav. Know your basic infantry skills. Stay focused. You can pass the course and still be rejected.
Never fear mate, most of the Commando stuff is publicly available. It's not going to help many though, I personally know 2 blokes who've successfully passed reasonably recent courses and EVERY course has it's own surprises. ;)

And anyway, it's the doing that actually counts, everyone "knows" to a degree, what they'll encounter, it's their fitness and abilities that will get them through, not forewarning...

I have a pretty good run down on the Cadre course too, (though I'll never post it) from a mate of mine who attempted it 2 years ago, but was removed from the course 3 weeks into it. I won't say too much, only that he lost most of the skin from the bottom of BOTH his feet, and was pulled off for his own health and safety.

He hasn't tried again and is now in Germany on "long-look"...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tango 4

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its not really much of a secret that could harm your country if let out. People knowing what selection/cadre consists of won't have an effect on national security (australia).

I am interested because I am a kiwi and I am interested in joining eather the british army or the australian army. I am ultimately interested in SF and I want to whey up my options. I know what the British SAS (22SAS) selection consists of as I have a friend serving in the PARA's and he gave me some info so now I just want to get a little info on the australian selection/cadre.

Thankyou to all that have replied, some more info would be awsome!:D

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
its not that its a national secret or any thing...its just that the courses are never the same. there are phases when you will go without food,sleep and will be run into the ground then tested mentally with problem solveing exercises to see how you cope under extreames. they will test youre sense of humour, learn the words to the happy wanderer. apart from that...be prepared from the moment the plane lands in Perth. and i mean the moment you land!:dance2
Another reason for not going into detail is to discourage the old"oh our course is harder than youre course B/S " that usually follows these discussions.

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Tango 4 said:
some more info would be awsome!:D
I'd suggest that you change your handle. ;)

As it stands, you're number 4 in the reticle (using current vernacular)

Tango 4

gf0012-aust said:
I'd suggest that you change your handle. ;)

As it stands, you're number 4 in the reticle (using current vernacular)
Don't know what you mean by that?

For you old faithful I understand where your comming from. People that say mine is harder than yours are usualy always people that don't have the slightest idea about anything really. All are hard or challenging in their own ways, none are the same and so you can't really compare.

Just to clarify things what Im interested in knowing is the big hard hitting phases of the cadre course. For instance, the NZSAS selection course differs every year with different instructors year round and little bits are added or taken away from the selection but ultimately 5 phases never change.

1. Fitness testing day.
2. 3 day open country navigation phase.
3. 24 hour sand dune endurance phase.
4. 2 day close country navigation phase.
5. 60km endurance march.

These aspects of the 18 day selection course never change and are part of the final 9 day testing process. Little bits vary and instructors throw in little mind busters and some massive mind busters, you are constantly mentally tested and wached but the course is always very similar so as a result you have a very fair and realistic testing / selection process. This eliminates the "last year was easier than this year", talk. But the process is very strict and only has a 1 or 2 out of 10 pass rate (10 - 20%)

Get my drift? I hope this clears things up, I just need a little info.

Tango 4

gf0012-aust said:
In specwarrie or HRT terms, a "Tango" is a terrorist.
Yea yea well Its actually my last name, its an Pacific Island name. Anyone else got information? I would really appreciate it.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Tango 4 said:
Yea yea well Its actually my last name, its an Pacific Island name. Anyone else got information? I would really appreciate it.
email me on [email protected]

make sure you have "Tango" in the subject line or you will get dumped as spam