Please VOTE and give your OPINION!!!

Pulaski

Much improved. Here are some additional suggestions:

1. Logo - The black and white logo is simple. Needs to punched up a bit to draw attention.

2. Rotating pictures - slow down the change time. Too fast now. It's distracting from the front page content.

3. Top navigation bar - the red "travelling" bar: it's a bit on the slow side, seems to be crawling at times, desperatly trying to keep up with the cursor. You may want to get rid of it, since the section text lights up when you mouse-over it. Maybe have the text change color to Red, instead of white.

Also, section names: How about just "Home", "News", "Gallery", "Forums", "Links", "About"? Drop the "military" and "defence", they are not neccessary, we know which site we are browsing.

As to "Weapons DB" and "World Military" I would actually combine these two into one "Database" link. When you click on "Database" you can then choose to explore the world militaries or weapons or systems or tactics or whatever.

I realize the site gets its income from google ads, but if you could possibly cut back a little bit? It's really cluttering thing up right now. I would put the googads on the right or left column, leave the center open and ad free.

Section pages: looks like you have menu duplication: there is a menu on top and then another menu on the left. For example, if you click "Defence Links", there is a menu link on top and in the left column. You may want to get rid of the "Main Menu" part and leave yourself more room for googads.

/s Pulaski

PS I re-read what I typed, it is overly harsh, but hey, you asked for it! Just my opinion! :)

EDIT: One more thing. The main page section, "IN THE NEWS", "MORE NEWS", "Defence Discussions", "Latest Pictures": perhaps choosing one type face style for all headings is advisable? So either "ALL CAPS", or "Some Caps" but not both. :) Watch me get kicked off the site now for being a smart alec.. :)

Last edited:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Much improved. Here are some additional suggestions:
Thanks!

1. Logo - The black and white logo is simple. Needs to punched up a bit to draw attention.
Yes, I was aiming for simplicity but I will see if I can punch it up!

2. Rotating pictures - slow down the change time. Too fast now. It's distracting from the front page content.
I agree, since its in testing mode, so I figure it should change atleast for voting purposes! It may just go on being a random picture changing every now and then...we'll see.

3. Top navigation bar - the red "travelling" bar: it's a bit on the slow side, seems to be crawling at times, desperatly trying to keep up with the cursor. You may want to get rid of it, since the section text lights up when you mouse-over it. Maybe have the text change color to Red, instead of white.
Sometimes it is slow, I tested it on slower machine and it takes it time. I may get rid of it and implement image based links.

Also, section names: How about just "Home", "News", "Gallery", "Forums", "Links", "About"? Drop the "military" and "defence", they are not neccessary, we know which site we are browsing.
I agree.

As to "Weapons DB" and "World Military" I would actually combine these two into one "Database" link. When you click on "Database" you can then choose to explore the world militaries or weapons or systems or tactics or whatever.
Good point, shouldn't be hard to implement this.

I realize the site gets its income from google ads, but if you could possibly cut back a little bit? It's really cluttering thing up right now. I would put the googads on the right or left column, leave the center open and ad free.
We've started doing that on all parts of the site, reducing from 3-4 ads per page to just 2 or 1.

Section pages: looks like you have menu duplication: there is a menu on top and then another menu on the left. For example, if you click "Defence Links", there is a menu link on top and in the left column. You may want to get rid of the "Main Menu" part and leave yourself more room for googads.
I will try that, thanks.

/s Pulaski

PS I re-read what I typed, it is overly harsh, but hey, you asked for it! Just my opinion! :)

EDIT: One more thing. The main page section, "IN THE NEWS", "MORE NEWS", "Defence Discussions", "Latest Pictures": perhaps choosing one type face style for all headings is advisable? So either "ALL CAPS", or "Some Caps" but not both. :) Watch me get kicked off the site now for being a smart alec.. :)
Thanks for taking your time to give good feedback. I appreciate it. It will help improve the site for all of us. Since it is in demo/testing process, I made it both caps and non-caps just to get feedback on it. :D

Stryker001

Banned Member
Haven't been on for a while, thought I had the wrong url at first. Looks like the best defence forum on the net just got better.

Well Done

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Stryker001 said:
Haven't been on for a while, thought I had the wrong url at first. Looks like the best defence forum on the net just got better.

Well Done
Thanks for the compliment.

lakhani

Some, of the features are good, but the background color is too dark, which gives a bad impression to your eyes, and I prefered to close my eyez. Try a lighter color, but overall a nice effort to bring a change.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Thanks!

Lakhani, the dark background is not in even the content area... how is it bad for the eyes? The content area or the area that people look at and read is in standard white with black or dark grayish text so it is easy on the eyes. I thought, dark to light combination would please both sides, will test to see how it looks without it. Thanks!

chinawhite

For the different sections like "in the news" "more news" etc, it would be better to give them a border so the sections looked more defined

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Changed colors around, no more very dark background. You should see better contrast between URL / LINK color and normal text now. I hope it is easier on the eyes of some of the folks...