Mobile territory strategic weapons:(Oil rigs)

Bluey 006

Mobile oil rigs that are considered sovereign territory by the nations that own them present a clear and present danger to global security.

These mobile platforms that roam around like locusts consuming all the resources then moving on present a plausible scenario for major power conflict in contemporary times.

What do others think? Does more need to be done to mitigate the threat of conflict as a direct result of their use in disputed waters ( aka South China Sea).

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Mobile oil rigs that are considered sovereign territory by the nations that own them present a clear and present danger to global security.

These mobile platforms that roam around like locusts consuming all the resources then moving on present a plausible scenario for major power conflict in contemporary times.

What do others think? Does more need to be done to mitigate the threat of conflict as a direct result of their use in disputed waters ( aka South China Sea).
Apart from waters where there are EEZ disputes, how does an oil rig present a source of conflict? AFAIK to use something like an oil rig, it needs to be in comparatively shallow water, like on a continental shelf. Which would put it within a particular nation's EEZ. Unless there are changes I am unaware of, the technology for deep-ocean platforms does not exist yet.

My2Cents

Apart from waters where there are EEZ disputes, how does an oil rig present a source of conflict? AFAIK to use something like an oil rig, it needs to be in comparatively shallow water, like on a continental shelf. Which would put it within a particular nation's EEZ. Unless there are changes I am unaware of, the technology for deep-ocean platforms does not exist yet.
Technology has advanced significantly in the last 20 years. Shallow water drilling is anything under 300 ft where you can use jackup rigs. Deep water drilling in up to 6,000 ft of water is fairly common. There are ultra deep rigs doing exploritory work up to 10,000 ft depths and 12,000 ft is on the drawing board.

At least that is where it was 5 years ago when I was doing offshore estimates. They could be planning deeper now. Or were before the oil price crashed.

HurricaneDitka

Oil rigs don't seem particularly unique in this aspect. One could also say they "roam around like locusts consuming all the resources then moving on" about, for example, commercial fishing fleets.

I don't see a "major power conflict" very likely to arise out of the use of commercial fishing fleets either, but, what "more" do you envision could be done to mitigate their use. We have treaties and international norms that govern these sort of things. Some countries choose to ignore those, and when they do, sometimes war is the result.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Technology has advanced significantly in the last 20 years. Shallow water drilling is anything under 300 ft where you can use jackup rigs. Deep water drilling in up to 6,000 ft of water is fairly common. There are ultra deep rigs doing exploritory work up to 10,000 ft depths and 12,000 ft is on the drawing board.

At least that is where it was 5 years ago when I was doing offshore estimates. They could be planning deeper now. Or were before the oil price crashed.
Wow, 6000 feet. Is the water pressure sufficient to keep the crude down at the bottom should a valve or whatever break?

My2Cents

Wow, 6000 feet. Is the water pressure sufficient to keep the crude down at the bottom should a valve or whatever break?
No, the water pressure at 6000 feet is only about 3000 psi. Typical oil reservoir pressures are initially 6,000 psi or higher. Gas reservoirs tend to run higher. The water pressure also is transmitted through the overburden, so the deeper the water the higher the reservoir pressure is likely to be.

Reservoir pressure drops over the life of the well, eventually requiring pumps to bring oil to the surface. I guess you could say that older wells could therefore safer. The fluid properties are complex with a large number of variables.

For some perspective, the Deep Water Horizon disaster took place in 5,100 feet of water