Australian Defence Budget 06/07

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Well its here some new stuff for the ADF

Defence is a big budget winner with the government committing to three per cent annual funding growth to the middle of next decade and pumping in additional funds to meet the costs of operations, an upgraded army and new equipment.

Dr Nelson said the defence budget for 2006-07 would be $19.6 billion, rising to $26.7 billion by 2015-16 .

He said defence would receive $623 million in additional funding for current overseas operations, including $392.7 million over three years to maintain the present Australian Defence Force level of commitment in Iraq and $218.2 million for the Afghanistan reconstruction task force.

He said the government would also provide defence with an extra $1.9 billion to acquire four new C-17 Globemaster heavy transport aircraft and $1.5 billion over a decade to restructure the army under the already announced program which includes relocating 3RAR from Sydney to Adelaide.
Source http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=98632

Whole Document can be found at:
http://www.defence.gov.au/budget/06-07/pbs/2006-2007_Defence_PBS_12_full.pdf

So it looks like nothing new proposals at the moment but increased funding 26.7 Billion in 2015 sounds quite nice, that a solid figure. Was hoping for a few more puchases to be announced but so far just the money for the stuff weve heard about. Looks like though definite 4 C117s just cause well 1.9 Billion sounds closer to 4 than three could be wrong though.

scraw

It'll all come a bit clear when the DCP is released... or we could just beat it out of gf :nono :D

Snayke

Maybe even more spending on the ADF will be announced for the pre-election budget? Well, I can only hope.

A

Aussie Digger

scraw said:
It'll all come a bit clear when the DCP is released... or we could just beat it out of gf :nono :D
A few things are clearer. $1.9b seems an AWFUL lot for 3 C-17 aircraft, I agree. 4 definitely seems more likely.

AIR-9000 has $5 billion set aside for it and yet ADF is to CONTINUE it's helo fleet rationalisation. Methinks I should sink some money into Eurocopter shares... :cool:

Army IS to get additional Javelin ATGW's.

Reserves are NOW going to get a $5000 a year bonus, simply for meeting their training requirements, maybe AD should sign back up for the Green Machine?

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Budget

Right, I misread that, see I thought that was only high readiness, well thats really good plus the healthcare allowance, that works you should get a new bunch of recruits were border line, as a uni student its a sweet way to earn some cash. I missed the Javelin purchase, thats good news 100 units for the orignal order was obviously on the low side, hopefully they introduce it across all units I look forward to that.

In delivering the nation’s annual budget, Treasurer Peter Costello said the government would spend 1.5 billion dollars ($1.15 billion U.S.) over the next five years to improve national security.
This will include funding to improve policing levels at airports, establish a bomb research center in Thailand and boost staff levels at the Australian Intelligence Security Organisation (ASIO) from 1,200 to 1,800.

Defensenews.com

As related security news thats a truly massive increase, which means ASIS will be getting similar but we won't hear about that one.

Also Army Ground Based Air Defence is to be upgraded, I don't remember any fresh info on that? THAAD maybe or perhaps MEADS maybe, hope its not a additional additional order of RBS 70, great system and better than the now retired Rapier, a bit more realistically CLAAWS/SLAAMRAM perhaps?

Last edited:

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
More Details....

For those who don't get you should but heres the DIAR Break down of the Budget

DIAR Article removed to possible copyright issues well definite, Sorry everyone, cheers Magoo.

I removed the customs stuff as they are not quite relevant but check the site above if you want the detail.

Wow, Im stoked about the 2 Huons being re-activated, and the options for the extended defense range predicted for the new SAM system. Excellent news indeed and we dont even have the DCP which will be out in 40 days, but whose counting eh...

Last edited:

knightrider4

Budget

Well the news of a possible new medium range SAM system is good news indeed. Currently the ADF is lacking this fundamental capability which places extra burden on a air combat fleet expected to be everywhere at once.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
robsta83 said:
Wow, Im stoked about the 2 Huons being re-activated
I wrote a letter to DefMin and ShadDefMin about a month ago bitching about the sheer stupidity of mothballing these vessels when we were in dire need of extra patrols in the Nth West.

I also pointed out that we had invested huge amounts of money into these and reminded them that they were "quieter" than the Visby Stealth PV that everyone gets excited about - in fact the Huon was instrumental in recalibrating Visby prior to the USN trials.

Maybe someone listened (doubt it though, they'll probably discover my letter at the bottom of some in-tray in 6 months time. ;))

rossfrb_1

gf0012-aust said:
I wrote a letter to DefMin and ShadDefMin about a month ago bitching about the sheer stupidity of mothballing these vessels when we were in dire need of extra patrols in the Nth West.

I also pointed out that we had invested huge amounts of money into these and reminded them that they were "quieter" than the Visby Stealth PV that everyone gets excited about - in fact the Huon was instrumental in recalibrating Visby prior to the USN trials.

Maybe someone listened (doubt it though, they'll probably discover my letter at the bottom of some in-tray in 6 months time. ;))
It's great that the two mothballed Huons are being reactivated, but are they that good as a patrol boat?
Do they have the endurance for useful patrol duties in the topend?
Suitable seastate capability?
Is the 30mm cannon that they mount stabilised?
I believe that an additional two Armidales have been ordered for topend duties. Maybe the navy should be getting even more of these?

cheers
rb

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
rossfrb_1 said:
are they that good as a patrol boat?
no, but thats not their role. the issue is that we have spent substantial monies on the class - and they are regarded as some of the best of their type in the world - certainly at an acoustic level they are better than 99% of the opposition.

I hate waste - esp when we are world leaders in mine detection technology.

They are a blue water asset, and as far as seastate stability, are certainly as good as the Freos. They would be a little bumpy though as they are as shapely as a cork. ;)

rossfrb_1 said:
Do they have the endurance for useful patrol duties in the topend?
Yes, and they're capable as doing much of what the Attacks could do, which we used to use as active patrols. When I was in Darwin in the late 70's we had about 6 Attacks on ref-duty. They coped with the wet season and were not as stable as the Huons.

rossfrb_1 said:
Suitable seastate capability?
See above

rossfrb_1 said:
Is the 30mm cannon that they mount stabilised?
Don't think so, but its not a difficult retro fit if needed.

rossfrb_1 said:
I believe that an additional two Armidales have been ordered for topend duties. Maybe the navy should be getting even more of these?
Or more Customs cutters....

A

Aussie Digger

gf0012-aust said:
no, but thats not their role. the issue is that we have spent substantial monies on the class - and they are regarded as some of the best of their type in the world - certainly at an acoustic level they are better than 99% of the opposition.

I hate waste - esp when we are world leaders in mine detection technology.

They are a blue water asset, and as far as seastate stability, are certainly as good as the Freos. They would be a little bumpy though as they are as shapely as a cork. ;)

Yes, and they're capable as doing much of what the Attacks could do, which we used to use as active patrols. When I was in Darwin in the late 70's we had about 6 Attacks on ref-duty. They coped with the wet season and were not as stable as the Huons.

See above

Don't think so, but its not a difficult retro fit if needed.

Or more Customs cutters....

The chances of them actually using the 30mm cannon in anything short of a war role is negligible IMHO. Same goes for the Armidales. ROE's are so tight, they have to use small arms and 0.50cal's to try and disable engines IF they are even allowed to do this (which is rare). They're not gonna fire 30mm warning shots...

I think the Huon's will do fine, and of course they are available for their Minehunter duties if needed...

I guess Occum and RJM will be pi**ed about the relentless march of the F-35A program too...

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
LTP update out as well

;) I'm guessing you have all seen the artist impressions of the AWD's that looks really hot does anyone no where more of those are availible that is the first one I have seen for the AWD. Also notice the CG model of the Amphibs, notice the VSTOL aircraft on the deck, for document so public aimed hehe they sure are presenting a strong impression that it will carry Fighters, :D interesting indeed, sure its speculation but....

Well I guess thats it till the DCP, I feel like June will have a mid year xmas ;)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
robsta83 said:
;) I'm guessing you have all seen the artist impressions of the AWD's that looks really hot does anyone no where more of those are availible that is the first one I have seen for the AWD.
I've got the draft copy of the AWD designs but they're still not for public release as well as regarded as CommInConf.

I like the design, but then I'm a hull fan of the Spruances/Tico's/Burkes/Kongos. ;)

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
robsta83 said:
For those who don't get you should but heres the DIAR Break down of the Budget

DIAR.com’s 2006/07 DEFENCE BUDGET ANALYSIS
A $20 billion budget for an aspirational ADF

On the back of the nation’s achievement of a $1 trillion (GDP) combined with the growth of Federal Government revenue to $231.7 billion...
robsta - I suggest you very carefully read the terms and conditions of subscription to Diar.com, particularly the bit about spreading it amongst other users and readers.

"Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium is prohibited except as provided in the Terms of Use."

http://www.diar.com/data/terms_us.htm

Cheers

Magoo

Last edited:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
robsta83 said:
He said the government would also provide defence with an extra $1.9 billion to acquire four new C-17 Globemaster heavy transport aircraft and $1.5 billion over a decade to restructure the army under the already announced program which includes relocating 3RAR from Sydney to Adelaide.
Source http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=98632

Whole Document can be found at:
http://www.defence.gov.au/budget/06-07/pbs/2006-2007_Defence_PBS_12_full.pdf

So it looks like nothing new proposals at the moment but increased funding 26.7 Billion in 2015 sounds quite nice, that a solid figure. Was hoping for a few more puchases to be announced but so far just the money for the stuff weve heard about. Looks like though definite 4 C117s just cause well 1.9 Billion sounds closer to 4 than three could be wrong though.
Here is an update and confirmation for Australian purchase of C-17 Global Master.

Australian Air Force to Buy C-17 Airlifters

Australian Minister for Defence
Wed, 10 May 2006, 00:43

The 2006-07 Budget provides an additional $1.9 billion for the acquisition of the Boeing C-17 Globemaster III as the preferred solution for a new responsive global airlift capability.

It announced the selection of this aircraft to provide new heavy airlift capability for the Royal Australian Air Force on 3 March this year.

This budget will also provide extra funding to operate the new aircraft, once the costs have been assessed and agreed. This will be in addition to the three per cent real growth provided by Government over the 15 year period 2001-02 to 2015-16.

The Airlift Group will acquire up to four C-17s, with the first aircraft expected to arrive in Australia in December this year. I expect final delivery of the aircraft to be complete by mid 2008.

The C-17 aircraft will significantly enhance the Australian Defence Force's airlift capability currently delivered by our C-130H and C-130J Hercules medium transports.

It is the only aircraft currently in production that has a proven capability to meet the Australian Defence Force's operational needs. These C-17s will enable the rapid deployment of troops, combat vehicles, bulk stores, heavy equipment and helicopters at long distances.

This new airlift capability will bolster the Australian Defence Force's contribution to domestic and international operations as well as to major disaster rescue and relief efforts. It will also provide significant opportunity for our aerospace industry here in Australia.

As an example of the capability that the C-17 brings to the Australian Defence Force; in the event of a natural disaster striking the west coast of Australia, one C-17 could be dispatched from the east to the west coast, flying non-stop and carrying 58 tonnes of cargo. It could then offload and, without refuelling, return to the east coast ready for another load. In the same length of time, a C-130 aircraft would complete the one-way journey carrying only 13 tonnes of cargo. In this scenario, the C-17 could carry more than 4 times as much cargo as a C-130, in less than half the time.

Furthermore, this acquisition means that instead of leasing aging Antonovs or waiting in queues for American airlift support, Australia will have its own heavy airlift capability, when we need it, and where we need it.

Source: DefenceTalk News
Link: http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_005936.php

Last edited by a moderator:

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Whoops

Magoo said:
robsta - I suggest you very carefully read the terms and conditions of subscription to Diar.com, particularly the bit about spreading it amongst other users and readers.

"Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium is prohibited except as provided in the Terms of Use."

http://www.diar.com/data/terms_us.htm

Cheers

Magoo

Ok I wasn't sure about that, but I figured it was similar to the news articles, I'll be more careful, I'm on the trial subscription but It prob don't make a difference. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: