Abandoned Military Projects (LARGE-scale)

theflea

Looking for some ideas of large-scale military projects/systems that have been abandoned but still exist. Example, The massive Duga antenna in Ukraine.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Nike missile sites, there are hundreds and hundreds of them across the US, sitting abandoned since the 70's. .

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Wall still exists at least in some small parts. There's the WW2 German submarine bunkers in France. Or Enver Hoxha's system of 600,000 bunkers to house the whole Albanian population. Switzerland has now closed three of their Aircraft Caverns, each suitable for operating 30 aircraft from its underground systems. In the Netherlands, a whole lot of the 135-km-long Stelling van Amsterdam is still around (and on the UNESCO world heritage list).

Mr. Ferret

bunkers for civilan purchase?

I am absolutly fascinated by the history of human war fare. WWII holds a particular intrest in me, especially because of the amount of underground facilitys that were produced. i was curious if any of the bunkers, silo's or nike sites that were made in the USA that were abandoned are availavble for civilian purchase. if so, where might i find that info?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure where you would find it, but out of curiosity... why would you want to purchase an abandoned missile site? I'd imagine it's expensive. And useless.

Mr. Ferret

I'm not sure where you would find it, but out of curiosity... why would you want to purchase an abandoned missile site? I'd imagine it's expensive. And useless.
call me strange, mad or paranoid friend, (or all three) but the underground has always held a special allure to me. i recall exploring drainage tunnels as a child, and minor spelunking with dad. the history a place holds, what it was, why it was, and what its purpose was, the whole history aspect, it just gets me going. there is also something to be said, especially in this day in age, for finding a tactically secure homestead. i pride myself on preparations i make for just about any eventuality, and living underground in a hardened structure would be the pinnacle of those preparations.

and thanks for the link, hopefully ill find my new home.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro