Is US Spend So Much Money on Military, Compared to Other Countries?

aaradhana

I saw a statistics page where they have listed the "statistics on military spending by country" which is military expenditure..
Source : Statsmonkey
In that stats United States is in first position with 682478000000 billion dollars as per 2013 report.

Is that true?? Do they spend so much money on military, compared to other countries? :gun

Ranger25

Staff member
I saw a statistics page where they have listed the "statistics on military spending by country" which is military expenditure..
Source : Statsmonkey
In that stats United States is in first position with 682478000000 billion dollars as per 2013 report.

Is that true?? Do they spend so much money on military, compared to other countries? :gun

I think one has to be very careful with figures Re facts in world military expenditures.

The US roughly reports its spending, but China and Russia have no accurate reporting.

What can be ascertained is that sequestration the US is facing has lead to large across the boards miIitary draw downs in all US services. Large increases in Chinese and Russian defense spending has allowed those militaries to rapidly modernize and evolve and in some cases potentially overmatch Western Capabilities.

This vacuum created by an overall US withdrawal from world security ops has seemingly emboldened non Democratic states (Russia annexation of Crimea, China in the Spratelys and Parcells). Other nations have reacted by increasing their own defense expenditures(Japan, Philippines, many NATO members) to fill the Void the US is leaving.

Thoughts from the board?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I think one has to be very careful with figures Re facts in world military expenditures.

The US roughly reports its spending, but China and Russia have no accurate reporting.

What can be ascertained is that sequestration the US is facing has lead to large across the boards miIitary draw downs in all US services. Large increases in Chinese and Russian defense spending has allowed those militaries to rapidly modernize and evolve and in some cases potentially overmatch Western Capabilities.

This vacuum created by an overall US withdrawal from world security ops has seemingly emboldened non Democratic states (Russia annexation of Crimea, China in the Spratelys and Parcells). Other nations have reacted by increasing their own defense expenditures(Japan, Philippines, many NATO members) to fill the Void the US is leaving.

Thoughts from the board?
There was a significant down sizing in U.S. Defence spending after Vietnam which was part political and part economic. The digital revolution, agricultural advances, and biotech along with expanded trade opportunities returned the U.S. to prosperity and defence spending once again increased. The Cold War ended resulting in the peace dividend creating yet another decline. Then came 9/11 and a massive multi-trillion dollar war expense that has achieved little.

The massive Western debt problem will leave little room for increased defence spending. Unlike after Vietnam, there are huge new competitors (e.g. China, India, Korea, and more on the way). It is a big hole to crawl out of. Other nations can no longer expect the U.S. to do all the heavy lifting. Too bad most of NATO is in a similar boat.:(

Ranger25

Staff member
There was a significant down sizing in U.S. Defence spending after Vietnam which was part political and part economic. The digital revolution, agricultural advances, and biotech along with expanded trade opportunities returned the U.S. to prosperity and defence spending once again increased. The Cold War ended resulting in the peace dividend creating yet another decline. Then came 9/11 and a massive multi-trillion dollar war expense that has achieved little.

The massive Western debt problem will leave little room for increased defence spending. Unlike after Vietnam, there are huge new competitors (e.g. China, India, Korea, and more on the way). It is a big hole to crawl out of. Other nations can no longer expect the U.S. to do all the heavy lifting. Too bad most of NATO is in a similar boat.:(

I couldn't agree more.

Like minded nations will need to do more, and are, to cooperate to maintain peace and stability.

Still concerning to see the more aggressive Regimes around what world grow and modernize militarily at such a rapid pace while the West in general regresses.

I will say the numbers and expenditures that Putin likes to publicize will be difficult at best to fund and produce giving their current economic situation. As the population of China ages and the numbers of pensioners are greater than workers it may become increasingly difficult for the PLA/PLAN etc to continue at its current pace as well

In 1991 the US Air Force had 188 fighter squadrons and 511,000 active duty airmen. Today it's down to just 49 squadrons and roughly 311,000 active duty airmen with an average airframe age of 27 years old.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I will say the numbers and expenditures that Putin likes to publicize will be difficult at best to fund and produce giving their current economic situation. As the population of China ages and the numbers of pensioners are greater than workers it may become increasingly difficult for the PLA/PLAN etc to continue at its current pace as well
I agree, the age demographics for China don't look good not to mention the male/female problem created by Mao's one child program. Russia's long term economic outlook is questionable. The most likely threat is from ME countries and Indonesia, they are out breeding us and their economic performance is growing at a faster rate than ours. India has positive age demographics and good economic growth. If they can address their corruption and political issues they will be a huge player which is why China likely fears India more than any other player (as does their key ally Pakistan.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, the age demographics for China don't look good not to mention the male/female problem created by Mao's one child program. Russia's long term economic outlook is questionable. The most likely threat is from ME countries and Indonesia, they are out breeding us and their economic performance is growing at a faster rate than ours. India has positive age demographics and good economic growth. If they can address their corruption and political issues they will be a huge player which is why China likely fears India more than any other player (as does their key ally Pakistan.
The Indo-Pakistani relations may change. They're both SCO members now, and the SCO is primarily aimed at reducing tensions between state actors (as well as combating non-state actors though only in name so far). Given the rise of ISIS, and the withdrawal of NATO from Afghan, Pakistan and India may end up on the same side against them.

Ranger25

Staff member
Ask Iraq and Afghanistan who they see as aggressive. The answer may surprise you.

Won't debate that but

Obviously this is in the eyes of the beholder.

We can list examples for the rest of the year pointing fingers throughout history

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ask Iraq and Afghanistan who they see as aggressive. The answer may surprise you.

The Afghans would still say the Russians, who they have a few hundred years of dealing with.

We got rid of an aggressive regime (the Taliban) for them.